• ɐɥO@lemmy.ohaa.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Specially taking into account that real a malicious actor won’t give a fuck about the license, take the code and put ads or whatever anyway.

They can sue his ass. New Pipe cant

• sir_reginald@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

good luck suing someone in a country like Russia, China or any other where these things are super hard to enforce. At most, they can request Google to remove them from the PlayStore which they will be already doing because this is an app for YouTube without ads, which I’m pretty sure breaks Google’s terms of service.

there’s not a real advantage on restricting forks, other than the original dev are trying to promote a paid tier so they can make a profit or something.

• 𝒍𝒆𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒏@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

good luck suing someone in a country like Russia, China or any other where these things are super hard to enforce

Those countries have their own domestic solutions already, rutube and bilibili. Why would they care about an app that only caters to western media products and monetary contribution sites?

At most, they can request Google to remove them from the PlayStore which they will be already doing because this is an app for YouTube without ads, which I’m pretty sure breaks Google’s terms of service

This is not an app for YouTube without ads though, and it is published on the play store already…

there’s not a real advantage on restricting forks, other than the original dev are trying to promote a paid tier so they can make a profit or something.

Well, no point having a discussion here if you didn’t even spend 2 mins to read the manifesto of the company that owns the app.

• sir_reginald@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Those countries have their own domestic solutions already, rutube and bilibili. Why would they care about an app that only caters to western media products and monetary contribution sites?

This argument is absurd. Why would they care? They do not care about western media, but malicious developers living in such countries will try to make some money by inserting ads and distributing the app, for example. Or just putting malware.

This is not an app for YouTube without ads though, and it is published on the play store already…

I’m aware, I used YouTube because in the video they used Newpipe as a direct comparison.

Well, no point having a discussion here if you didn’t even spend 2 mins to read the manifesto of the company that owns the app.

I read the whole web page, and all I can see is an app that is purposefully restricting forks, so they want to be the only ones distributing it. That alone makes me suspicious that there must be some reason like paywalling it in the future or adding some way of making them money. Of course they are not doing it at launch, but it’s something to be cautious about specially when looking at the license.

• EngineerGaming@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

Those countries have their own domestic solutions already, rutube and bilibili

No idea about bilibili, but rutube is pretty much dead and a complete laughingstock. Everyone there uses Youtube.