I see no use for the numlock key, I’d rather just have the numpad on the whole time. Are there actually cases where it is useful or people who for some reason prefer their numpad turned off?

• pinchcramp@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I haven’t used numlock in years but I remember that for certain games that you played with the arrow keys, I preferred to use the arrows on the numpad instead of the dedicated ones.

And according to Wikipedia, the reason why numlock exists in the first place is the fact that certain keyboards didn’t have dedicated arrow keys, but did have a numpad. I guess numlock on full-sized keyboards is just a relic that keyboard manufacturers are schlepping around because it’s cheap enough to produce and doesn’t really hurt 🤷

• Bill@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

You can still get some mechanical keyboards with numpads but not arrow keys, though since these are variations on compact layouts they tend to omit the numlock key as well.

• pinchcramp@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Interesting. Most compact keyboards I’ve seen save space by removing the numpad, not the arrow keys. I assume you can emulate arrow keys by pressing some modifier key on those?

• Bill@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Exactly that. Royal Kludge makes one.

I think it’s a good layout. I have a tenkeyless at home and for some tasks I definitely miss the number pad more than I’d miss the arrow keys, especially since the number pad by design doubles as arrow keys and always has. I’ve seen even smaller keyboards that have numpads but not the number row, which would also be sweet. Reclaim some vertical deskspace as well as horizontal.

• Thavron@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I can be useful. If NumLock is turned off you can use 2, 4, 6, and 8 as arrow keys for example. Although with most modern programs you can easily rebind keys so it’s more a thing of the past, like the “Pause” button.

• T156@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I have never seen pause used that way for modern games. Most of them just use Escape instead, with pause being left for lower-system things like the REISUB sequence.

• Fleppensteyn@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Don’t know what to tell you, for me it often works. Maybe give it a try? Esc usually brings you to the menu, which implies pausing, but it’s separate from pause key.

• Thavron@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I am an avid gamer and have never used that button to pause a game. Escape is the go to for that, no?

• Tavarin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I have a smaller keyboard that doesn’t have dedicated arrow keys, or any of the home, page up, etc. They’re all on the numpad, so numlock for me is very useful.

• Hillock@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

It’s a relic of the past. Old keyboards didn’t have dedicated arrow keys and since many programs were only controlled by arrow keys rather than a mouse, having a num lock key was a good solution to the problem. But if you are still stuck in an environment where you have to navigate a lot with arrow keys, the num lock still comes in handy. Having Pg Up and Down and the Home/End keys nearby is super handy in this situation.

It’s still useful for some old video games, especially for multiplayer where both play at the same time.

• RHOPKINS13@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

There’s an old game I grew up with called Castle of the Winds. You could also move using some other keys or the mouse, but for me my favorite way by far was using the numpad with numlock turned off.

I also used to use the numpad while playing Half-Life, as the person who introduced me to that game swore by remapping all the keys to the numpad.

• jrs100000@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Old games are pretty much the only use Ive ever seen. The keypad can be used as arrow keys, but with diagonal options and the ability to easily switch over to numbers. Nethack, for instance, is extra challenging without a proper numberpad.

• TheWiz@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Damn I loved Castle of the Winds. Was actually just thinking about frying to see it I could play it again recently for a nice nostalgia kick.

• PlutoniumAcid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I have literally removed the NumLock keycap from all of my keyboards to make sure I don’t accidentally turn it off. Never missed it.

I have also removed the F1 keycap. Never use it.

• ThisIsNecessary@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Lol I also remove the Num Lock key! I find myself accidentally pressing it too much and I just never want to use that function anyway.

• DrQuint@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Scroll Lock is the one that comes to mind as a safe removal.

However, for me, the real useless AND inconvenient piece of shit I wish I could rebind as I want that space for something better is Caps Lock. Unfortunately, it’s not that easy to do.

• WigglyTortoise@dmv.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

You should look into Kanata. It lets you remap the whole keyboard, same idea as QMK, except it’s running on your computer instead of the keyboard itself.

It can be a bit tricky to set up if you’re not used to that sort of thing, but I managed to figure it out so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

• PlutoniumAcid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Use autohotkey! I have a very simple solution for this, where the caps lock key is mapped either as a backspace key, or it minimizes the current window.

• commandar@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Swap caps lock and left control. It’s the first thing I do on most of my computers, especially notebooks.

The newer versions of Windows Powertoys from Microsoft makes it easy on Windows.

Been easy on Mac and most Linux distros for years.

• supermurs@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I can’t even remember when I would’ve needed the arrow keys on the numpad.

My keyboard has also SysRq, Scroll lock and Pause/Break keys on top of the numpad, never needed any of them.

• key@lemmy.keychat.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s useful if you enable Mouse Keys mode. Which is useful if you find yourself without a working mouse for one reason or another.

• kuneho@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I actually have a collegaue who uses the numeric keys as arrows and shit, he uses the NumLock pretty regularly.

He is the only one I actually know who does that, tho.

• justanotherjo@kbin.cafe
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

no use whatsoever. this is an artifact from the days when the arrows, etc. did not exist as separate keys.

• r00ty@kbin.life
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think the numlock key is a hangover from the IBM XT computers (maybe even before that). Those keyboards didn’t have the cursor keys and other key block. So, the numlock key was quite important.

I know, because I got my first PC during the PC AT days right before they moved toward ATX. That was a full size keyboard.

I am surprised it has stuck around so long. I understand in the transition from XT to AT that perhaps computer operators got used to using the numpad for navigation and muscle memory would be ruined. But, you know it’s like 40 years on now. There isn’t really a modern day reason to keep it.

But, happy to be proven wrong.

• jem0@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Yes, there are arrows on the numeric keyboard which can be used for various reasons, also home and end buttons.

• wjrii@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

For a full size, 104-key PC keyboard, everything that is mapped to the numpad is also somewhere else, and the keys are spaced out enough that you’d almost never need to turn off the numpad, so the key is just there for oddball legacy apps that do weird stuff. It was more important before IBM released the fully “modern” 101-key Model M.

For laptop keyboards and other reduced format keyboards that still include all or part of a numpad, it can still be useful. I actually use autohotkeys instead, but one of my budget mechanical keyboards only has the arrow nav keys and the rest are accessed by turning off NumLock.

• emzzy@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I only find it useful on laptop keyboards. I like the numpad for entering numbers, and I also like having dedicated keys for stuff like Home, End, and Insert when browsing or editing. It saves space when you can double the numpad for both.