Lot of sales for 4th of july (and ongoing ones) where you can pay $10-$14 for a YEAR of a small cheap VPS. Usually only has 1GB of memory, but that’s plenty to play around with and learn. If nothing else, a good cheap ipv4 you can use for some port forwarding. There are lots of options, but I’ve used racknerd and ethernetservers which have been fine.

I have my own server at home, but I bought two small ones to start learning Ansible with in a risk free way. Eventually plan to redo my main server with a complete Ansible setup, really want to hop on that “infrastructure as code” train.

• ThorrJo@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I thought this was about physical hardware, lol.

FWIW I have been upgrading my stack on a very tight budget and there are some incredible deals on used/refurb PCs out there… just wait & watch for a couple weeks if need be, and you can get yourself a secondhand business PC for dirt cheap.

• lka1988@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I scored an Optiplex 7050 SFF with 250GB SSD, 16GB RAM, and an i5-6500 for under $100 on an ebay auction last year. I threw in another 16 GB of RAM, an i7-7700, 300W PSU from an Optiplex XE3 (factory for a 7050 SFF is 180W…), factory SD card reader + faceplate, and an Nvidia Quadro K1200 (why? I don’t remember, but it’s better than the iGPU).

• ThorrJo@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

haha this is amazing, I made similar comments in 3 threads or so, and people commented back about OptiPlex SFF in all of 'em :D

when I first started doing this again for real about 3 years ago, I built a stack of 3x OptiPlex SFF that I got from pcsforpeople.com (discount refurb gear for po’ folk), plus an Amazon refurb. I’ve started migrating to the “1-liter” USFF business PCs, but I still have the best of the OptiPlex SFFs - an i7-4770 with 32GB of RAM which now is my database server and NAS box.

It’s amazing how well the high-end 4xxx Intel chips still hold their own a decade after their release.