Lot of sales for 4th of july (and ongoing ones) where you can pay $10-$14 for a YEAR of a small cheap VPS. Usually only has 1GB of memory, but that’s plenty to play around with and learn. If nothing else, a good cheap ipv4 you can use for some port forwarding. There are lots of options, but I’ve used racknerd and ethernetservers which have been fine.

I have my own server at home, but I bought two small ones to start learning Ansible with in a risk free way. Eventually plan to redo my main server with a complete Ansible setup, really want to hop on that “infrastructure as code” train.

• beeb@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

If your domain is registered with cloudflare, they have an amazing tunnelling service that is free to point your domain to your own device at home!

• ThorrJo@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

For people who don’t like cloudflare, it’s also possible to self-host your reverse proxy, using e.g. nginx on the front end, and rathole or frp for the reverse tunnel. I use ssh if I need a forward proxy too (so outbound requests don’t come from my “real” IP) and that’s not super ideal, but it works.

This is of course considerably more difficult than something that’s point-and-click, but for me, using Cloudflare defeats the purpose of self-hosting.

I have built & rebuilt such a setup several times now and it gets better documented every time, soon I’ll release a step by step HOWTO.