“BookWyrm is a social network for tracking your reading, talking about books, writing reviews, and discovering what to read next.”

• Jackthelad@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Recommendations from people, not algorithms

I mean, if an algorithm can recommend me books I might enjoy based on things I’ve previously read, that’s not a bad thing?

Algorithms aren’t always bad.

• dfyx@lemmy.helios42.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Plus people apparently don’t know what „algorithm“ means. Sorting by average rating is an algorithm. Filtering by genre is an algorithm. Anything that takes an input (a database of books), performs a discrete set of steps and produces an output (an ordered list of books) is an algorithm. Even if it’s not performed by a computer but yourself standing in front of your bookshelf.

• LinkOpensChest.wav@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

This is true, but colloquially when people say “I dislike algorithms,” we are referring to any system that automatically sorts or elicits information, apart from responding to user input. I like having the ability to sort and filter things manually, but I dislike unsolicited recommendations and things of that nature. I think most people know the technical meaning of the word.

• DonnerWolfBach@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I do not think most people know about the computer science definition of algorithm involving discrete steps. For average people I feel like your definiton of “any system that automatically sorts or elecits information, apart from responding to user input” is the only one known.

• LinkOpensChest.wav@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

To each their own, but I’ve been using bookwyrm for a few months now, and I like that it doesn’t use an algorithm because I have yet to receive a suitable recommendation from one. It’s a much cleaner, refreshing experience.

• seaQueue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

+1, I get a lot of very good recommendations from chatgpt.

Book recommendations from people are fine, but I find that about half of them are just echoes of whatever’s popular in that particular forum.

r/printsf gives very good recommendations most of the time but you’d better be ready to read Blindsight.

• Corgana@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It sounds good on paper, but after a decade of having Netflix and Spotify recommending stuff to me that I “like” but leaves me spiritually pigeonholed, I’ve really come around to appreciating the value of “organically” encountering media that is more varied and challenging.

To give an example: when a friend recomends a book to me, even if it’s not my “taste” the experience becomes much more rewarding (and I have a friend to talk about it with!). Being recommended media by a software program is impersonal and honestly it gets kinda lonely.

• LilDumpy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

What about an algorithm so that you get relevant book recommendations from people? Would that count?

• fra@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I don’t get it why I should have to create an account there. Doesn’t social and ActivityPub mean I can participate from somewhere else!?

• seaQueue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It seems like it would be super helpful if the fediverse offered oauth between instances doesn’t it?

• Dave@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Yes and no.

The main benefit of activitypub is facilitating communication between many instances running the same software. Sometimes services are different but do the same thing so work well together (e.g. mastodon and firefish).

When there is overlap between services it can work, such as how you can read lemmy communities from mastodon, but it’s not the same and doesn’t display as nice because they are different content types (microblog vs link sharing and discussion).

Bookwyrm is quite different. Tracking the books you’re reading is not really a fediverse thing and I’m not sure that’s even federated between bookwyrm instances. Reviews on books, well on bookwyrm you can follow users. I guess it’s possible you can follow a bookwyrm user from mastodon? Have you tried? It wouldn’t give you the same experience though, so sometimes it’s nicer to make a new account per service type.

• PropaGandalf@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

It’s the protocol vs the app. The protocol is universal and does not make any distinction between the services. It’s rather the app interface that only lets you sign in with an account form one of their platforms. We really need a SSO solution like ActivityPods or something.

• macallik@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I’ve used it for a few months. I enjoy the idea of updating my progress after each reading session, so that hypothetically, I can see how fast I read.

• smoothbrain coldtakes@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Was this not the purpose of Literature.cafe? Did they not close down due to lack of users and merge into .world? Not sure how you’re going to break that streak, given that Lemmy’s numbers are going down and not up.