Well i am certainly not using reddit on my tablet anymore.

• Anonymous0573@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Honestly, I’m really trying to like Lemmy. I feel like none of the good communities came over here, just the one’s you mindlessly scroll through. I just looked for a fitness community yesterday and the one i found had like 5 posts. There is basically no communities for any of my hobbies. It seems like most people stayed on Reddit, except for the techy people. It’s a shame because I really want to support the idea of federation and I do like the website.

• hazeebabee@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Be the change you want to see. There are probably other people looking for those coversations, but see low engagement and move on. The more you post the more attractive it makes the community for other people.

I have also found that even if there are fewer comments, other people tend to respond and have more discussions.

I do have alot of hope that well see the community continue to grow & hopefully more activity as people search out reddit alternatives.

• _bug0ut@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

The endless scrolling communities are the easiest to move. They’re low hanging fruit. One of the other replies to you here nailed it… without a massive community of millions, the future of Lemmy rests on the more modestly sized community here willing to actually come out of their lurk and not just respond to posts, but to start posts on their own and actually drive the content.

I feel the same way about music production-related communities here. I just don’t have much to ask and I suck pretty badly at it so I don’t feel like I’m good enough to drive content/discussions lol

• ilex@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

music production-related communities here.

Probably not what you mean, but if you wanna start doing anything, I’ve got a com specifically for sheet music and tabs, and God Almighty does it blow. It could use a fresh insight.

• _bug0ut@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I’m one of the unwashed, ignorant music production hobbyists who can’t play a lick of anything on an actual instrument, and certainly can’t read sheet music (I figured out tablature a long time ago when I was trying to teach myself guitar and have forgotten since). I can noodle around on a 25-key MIDI keyboard well enough - like I have a good handle on the patterns for different keys and scales on the keyboard, but I can’t actually play. I’d take you up on the invite, otherwise.

• ilex@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Check out some of the yellow mandolin tabs. The way I’ve been doing it is a matching game and MSpaint.

• crazycanadianloon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I initially had the same lament, but since we’re early adopters of this tech, it really is on us to build the communities here. If you want to discuss something, just post a thread. Even if no one replies right away, as people start coming they will start engaging with posts that are already there.

• Weirdfish@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

That’s a fair point, I noticed if I open baconreader, I can still see my subscribed sub list. I need to learn how to make subs on here, and as you suggest, either find them, or get off my ass and make them myself.

On a nice side note, being an early adopter, I was able to get my username back without some damned number stapled on the end.

• Anders429@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The only real community I saw that migrated was r/piracy. Otherwise, I’ve experienced basically the same thing you have.

• GrindingGears@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Even from 3 weeks ago, this place has grown hand over fist. Just give it a few more weeks and it’ll be pretty much new Reddit.