Update: requested !movies@lemm.ee :

Hello everyone,

For people interested in movies, you may have noticed that !moviesandtv@lemmy.film is now gone, unfortunately.

The community was quite active, especially with the movies discussion threads, it would be nice to create a new one elsewhere.

As Lemmyworld and lemmy.ml already have most of the active communities, I thought it would be interesting to have this one (maybe two, one for movies, one for TV) on lemm.ee ? In a similar way that !games@sh.itjust.works is a popular community on sh.itjust.works (thanks @nanoUFO@sh.itjust.works for posting there)

What do you think?

Tagging the active contributors to the previous community @realcaseyrollins@narwhal.city @ClarkZuckerberg@lemmy.world @simple@lemm.ee @ZeroCool@feddit.ch

• Send_me_nude_girls@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Sadly this once again shows that Lemmy is too fragile. The content is now gone, forever. This is not good and I want to see a feature that we can preserve content. What if a big instance disappears for some unfortunate circumstance? Like the whole instance owner team died in a plane accident and suddenly you have thousands of posts and content disappear. Lemmy isn’t build by a huge company that will have decentralized solutions, backups and emergency access.

• Deebster@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

You’re 100% right, I think we do a lot more to stop content rotting like this. Now it’s half gone, with any contributions from other instances unable to federate, fracturing any more conversation.

Maybe we need to do two things:

• ensure that popular instances aren’t single-admin shows (so there needs to be a team with the skills, finances and motivation to run if one or more disappear, or at least the credentials in escrow so someone can step in)
      • have some system to backup/migrate content

The migration one is tricky, because ActivityPub is very tied to urls. I guess that you could make dummy account for the conversation you brought over, so you’d at least have a read-only record.

• andreluis034@lm.put.tf
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Are you sure the content is gone? I assume the communities had users from other servers, if so isn’t the content replicated on other servers?