Update: requested !movies@lemm.ee :

Hello everyone,

For people interested in movies, you may have noticed that !moviesandtv@lemmy.film is now gone, unfortunately.

The community was quite active, especially with the movies discussion threads, it would be nice to create a new one elsewhere.

As Lemmyworld and lemmy.ml already have most of the active communities, I thought it would be interesting to have this one (maybe two, one for movies, one for TV) on lemm.ee ? In a similar way that !games@sh.itjust.works is a popular community on sh.itjust.works (thanks @nanoUFO@sh.itjust.works for posting there)

What do you think?

Tagging the active contributors to the previous community @realcaseyrollins@narwhal.city @ClarkZuckerberg@lemmy.world @simple@lemm.ee @ZeroCool@feddit.ch

• Clodsire@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

i think its better to start with a join movies&tv comm, you probably want to grow it fast and managing two new comms may get to confusing/tiring for the mods, plus it will be the mods the main posters there until it gets big enough

since its a general comm, it a good idea to have it on an instance that its federated to most big intances so lemme and lemmy.ml are good choices, with lemee being a bit better because of lax moderation and i think making comms there is easier

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

i think its better to start with a join movies&tv comm, you probably want to grow it fast and managing two new comms may get to confusing/tiring for the mods, plus it will be the mods the main posters there until it gets big enough

Interesting, you have a point! I guess we could start with a common community, but named “movies@lemm.ee” and allowing both movies and tv content.

Having it names like this makes it future proof for when we’ll probably eventually split and have television@lemm.ee. If we go with “moviesandtv@lemm.ee”, when we’ll reach the point where we need to split, that might make things confusing.

it a good idea to have it on an instance that its federated to most big intances so lemme and lemmy.ml are good choices, with lemee being a bit better because of lax moderation and i think making comms there is easier

Definitely agree

• Clodsire@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Interesting, you have a point! I guess we could start with a common community, but named “movies@lemm.ee” and allowing both movies and tv content.

its a good idea to be ready, i think admins can change the name of comms, also you should probably claim the TV comm name even if you arent going to use it at the start just to make sure.

• BlazeOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

you should probably claim the TV comm name even if you arent going to use it at the start just to make sure.

Good point, thanks!

• Kayn@dormi.zone
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

But please only claim it if you really have short-term plans for it. Subreddit squatting has been a persistent problem on Reddit, and I wouldn’t want this to be repeated in the Lemmyverse.

• BlazeOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Definitely! That’s why I wanted another mod with me as well (see comments below). Sub squatting is a plague indeed.

• ZeroCool@feddit.ch
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Oh damn, did lemmy.film shut down? That’s a major bummer. I really liked the Movies and TV community.

As Lemmyworld and lemmy.ml already have most of the active communities, I thought it would be interesting to have this one (maybe two, one for movies, one for TV) on lemm.ee ?

That’s exactly why I chose to post articles in moviesandtv@lemmy.film over the movies/tv communities on lemmy.world. I try to support communities in smaller instances by posting relevant content but I guess this is just an inherent risk of lemmy.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Would you like to become a mod with me? I don’t expect that much work, movies are usually not a very controversial topic

• BlazeOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Great!

Yes, Jerry is doing a great job with his services. The only issue I see is that with the “infosec” in the name, the domain might be blocked by company firewalls as they would tag it under “hacking”. I know they run a mbin instance, Fedia.io, but I would rather go with Lemmy as Kbin/Lemmy compatibility can be finicky.

What do you think?

• ZeroCool@feddit.ch
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

I hadn’t considered that but if you think that’s a realistic possibility then I wouldn’t have an issue resettling on lemm.ee. Either option would be fine. I mostly suggested .pub because I know the infosec family of instances are well run and dependable.

• BlazeOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

I’m pretty sure I had that issue at some point when I wanted to check a community on infosec.pub and then got that kind of block.

Alright, I just noticed the community already exists, here it is !movies@lemm.ee.

I requested it in !meta@lemm.ee

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

It’s good to see you around, you guys are doing a great job over there! I guess we’ll probably go with lemm.ee just to have more users able to access the community from their local feed, but thanks for offering!

Is anything good on your side, funding-wise?

• Tiff@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

No worries! I hope the community comes back around!

Yeah funding is good. Completely community funded :) Ours is on open collective if you want to see it 😉 (we are completely transparent)

• Deebster@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

reddthat is a great instance, and I’m glad to see that it’s not just a single-admin setup. If you vanished (I hope not!), does the team have the access, knowledge, finance and motivation to continue?

• Send_me_nude_girls@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Sadly this once again shows that Lemmy is too fragile. The content is now gone, forever. This is not good and I want to see a feature that we can preserve content. What if a big instance disappears for some unfortunate circumstance? Like the whole instance owner team died in a plane accident and suddenly you have thousands of posts and content disappear. Lemmy isn’t build by a huge company that will have decentralized solutions, backups and emergency access.

• Deebster@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

You’re 100% right, I think we do a lot more to stop content rotting like this. Now it’s half gone, with any contributions from other instances unable to federate, fracturing any more conversation.

Maybe we need to do two things:

• ensure that popular instances aren’t single-admin shows (so there needs to be a team with the skills, finances and motivation to run if one or more disappear, or at least the credentials in escrow so someone can step in)
      • have some system to backup/migrate content

The migration one is tricky, because ActivityPub is very tied to urls. I guess that you could make dummy account for the conversation you brought over, so you’d at least have a read-only record.

• andreluis034@lm.put.tf
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Are you sure the content is gone? I assume the communities had users from other servers, if so isn’t the content replicated on other servers?

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Actually, we got it, I tagged you there, feel free to comment so that I can appoint you as a mod!