• kadu@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Reddit’s native video hosting and player are absolutely not something I miss nor desire, felt like they were designed with the goal of frustrating the user at least 10 times per day.

• kadu@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Apollo had it’s own parser for most content. If third party Lemmy apps also start bundling built in players for YouTube and other popular hosting services, you won’t need Lemmy handling that.

I think video hosting would severely impact the storage needs for instance admins.

• Thaurin@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I hadn’t realized that video hosting on Reddit servers was a big thing. I have linked to videos I made on YouTube and I guess Reddit Enhancement Suite and Apollo made that look good.

So I suppose we need to wait and see how the clients evolve and if people start linking to more video content where appropriate, like in a community such as c/videos or c/unexpected.

• mim@lemmy.sdf.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

It was a classic Reddit move.

1. Burn a brunch of money to implement a feature nobody asked for.

2. Make that feature worse than what you already have.

3. Burn more money maintaining that feature, as you now need to pay for more computing resources to support it.

4. Whine about not being profitable.

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I never understood why people complained about v.reddit. It always worked fine on RiF. Then I saw what it looks like on the “official” Reddit… Ugh

• Sheltac@lemmy.pt
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

In Apollo it wouldn’t let you choose the quality, so most of the time you’d get a 12p video.

(I’m on 500 meg fibre, that should not be a problem)

• Candelestine@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Video hosting is very resource-intensive, and likely still beyond the capabilities of most Instance owners. While this feature will likely appear eventually for larger Instances, we have a natural disadvantage that will slow our adoption somewhat.

We aren’t a single, centralized company that can throw a huge wad of cash at the problem.

• fubo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

You can link to videos, but they need to be hosted on other services, such as PeerTube. Lemmy instances are relatively lightweight and don’t necessarily have the storage space for very large files such as videos.

• Thaurin@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Could this be improved by Lemmy apps and the web interface by integrating a player?

Why were videos more prominent on Reddit; was it easier to upload videos to it?

I suspect the video experience can improve in the future.

• peereboominc@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yes, true. But it does not need to be hosted on the instance. It can also be hosted somewhere else and embedded here. Problem with that approach is that itf the external video or gif goes offline, you lose the video.

The embedded thing, I think I remember that there was something like that in the code of the jerboa app or the Lemmy backend.

• Sean@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The last thing Lemmy.world needs right now is video hosting. Let’s just get this place running smoothly and consistently before we worry about having video.

• zerbey@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It hasn’t been implemented yet, want to have a go? :) For now, link to other hosting sites.