• originalucifer@moist.catsweat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

eh, wth would netlfix or amazon care what china thinks??

apple has major physical investment in china… thats the conflict of interest here. a media conglomerate changing the story because businessmonies.

• Ghostalmedia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Netflix is a bad example, but Amazon and Disney do a lot of business with China. Amazon has e-commerce and web services offerings in china. Also they, like Apple, manufacture a LOT of shit there. Disney is simpler. They want to sell their media in China.

• girthero@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

I wonder if this was a Youtube channel he owned… Would google capitulate? Though I can’t imagine it would be worth it for Jon to be on Youtube.

• Blackout@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

YouTube is blocked in China and most other oppressive regimes. You can definitely find lots of china criticism there.

• anlumo@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Right now, nobody has found a way to make a video platform financially viable yet. The only way to ask for crazy high subscription fees, and even then it’s very risky.

• atrielienz@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Google has been trying to get a foothold in China for a couple of decades. The government there don’t want Google, and Google has previously jumped through hoops to make apps and services just for that market to try to placate them. It wasn’t successful before but they keep trying. I don’t think Google would think twice about axing a YouTube channel if they were aware the content was anti-CCP and has a big enough audience.