link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Definitely agree. My point isn’t that it will immediately solve all problems but it will step by step. As you say sending up trash is a bad idea in the beginning but once we know rockets are reliable enough (I dunno, maybe one failure in 10000?) we can start sending up chemically safe trash (stuff that won’t damage the composition of the atmosphere) or find ways to bind potentially harmful substances into harmless ones (like is done with most of the exhaust gas in a combustion engine)

We obviously won’t have a 100% perfect solution immediately but it is long term leaps better than what we currently have.

Not to mention the particularly toxic stuff won’t even be here on earth because we will likely refine the ores in space, leaving the toxic byproducts there in the first place.

• just_another_person@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Your logic is exactly what I’m pointing out though. “We don’t have a solution yet” should never mean “just make things worse, and we’ll figure it out eventually”.

If you haven’t been living on this planet long, this is how the people who own the resources you’re being sold kick that can down the road, and make it your problem when these corporations polluting the shit out of everything are the problem. If everyone in the world picked up their garbage on a daily basis, it won’t fix rocket fuel pollution, microplastics, radiation, water shortages, or carbon emissions. Only the fucked up factories creating all the bullshit people think they need to live reforming will do that. Giving them more resources to make more junk to polite our planet isn’t going to do shit but make them more money.