• TimewornTraveler@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

The Germanic one looks like Freedom. Is it?

What language family is Pokój? I thought Polish was a Slavic language, but they don’t say Mir.

Béke is Uralic? But also Turks use it?

Where is Taika from?

I NEED MORE INFO!!!

• Andrej-Zulanov139@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Pokój is also Slavic. In Russian related word means something closer to “calmness” and sometimes has overlapping meaning with English “peace”. Like “peace” in “peace and quite” for example will be translated with “pokoj”, while “mir” in the sense of “peace” means only the opposite of “war”.

I assume colors show the original meaning of the word, not the language family.

• Masimatutu@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Edit: whoops, missed your first first question. Yes, fred et al come from Proto-Germanic frithuz, which is constructed from frijaz (free) plus noun suffix -thus.

Well as for the first second one, language families tend to have different roots for the same thing, of which different ones will become preferred in different regions. Both of these words actually work in both Russian and Polish, it is just that one of them is archaic.

As for the second third one, I don’t think they’re supposed to be the same colour. As far as I know, they are unrelated.

For your third fourth question, no clue. I might look into it someday.

• SpiderShoeCult@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

For Turkish and Hungarian, there used to be a proposed link between finno-ungric languages and turkic languages, but it seems that modern linguistics rejects that and they states that any similarities are due to contact alone.