I’ve seen a lot of comments suggesting Threads should be pre-emptively defederated by Lemmy/kbin instances if it tries to join us. I’m a bit confused what the problem would be. When Meta does its usual corporate bullshit over at Threads, how would that hurt a user or community based on Lemmy.world? If anything, wouldn’t it give the fediverse a boost if Threads users start discovering communities outside of Meta’s control?

I presume I’m missing something, as you can probably tell I don’t fully understand how Lemmy, Threads or federation all work.

• Th4tGuyII@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

The old Tripple E is the problem…

Meta come in with open arms embracing ActivityPub. They use our established communities to supplement their own content, and draw in users that would never have heard of this place to sign up to Threads.

All’s going great. But over time they start extending what Threads can do past what ActivityPub can. This “accidentally” starts causing incompatibilities with ActivityPub, which could already cause some users to migrate to Threads.

Once they’ve done this enough, they use their generated incompatibilities as an excuse to defederate from the Fediverse. This forces anybody on this side that still wants to interact with the friends and content they’ve made through Threads to sign up over there leading to an exodus.

If that exodus is big enough, it could be enough to extinguish the Fediverse completely. Meta wins, we lose.

• Leclipse@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Meta doesn’t need Lemmy. They don’t care about Lemmy. Last time I checked they already had 10M+ users

• Th4tGuyII@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

They don’t need us, but that doesn’t mean they don’t want us.

We’re a market as much as any other, and by them explicitly saying they want to support ActivityPub (Mastodon in particular), they clearly do see us.

• Leclipse@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 year ago

For me That defeats the basic principles of the whole Fediverse. If a single instance gets very big and then corporatized, then what will happen? Will they get defederated too? Then at that point it’s just a bunch of seperate web forums. If Fediverse gets big, corporations will come sooner or later. Lemmy/Kbin need to survive on its own. Also current situation should not be compared to xmpp. From the article it would seem that they didn’t had a userbase large enough to sustain themselves which is not the current situation with Fediverse. Google tried EEE with AMP also and failed.

• Th4tGuyII@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Maybe it isn’t the best solution long-term, but if we fully embrace them they will cannibalise us.

It’s silly to be optimistic when we’ve already seen EEE in action.

• RBWells@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

But they don’t have me. I don’t want a Facebook and want to stay the hell away from Facebook.

• blackbelt352@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Apologies but Triple E? Quick definition unpack, Google results are giving me all kinds of other information about mosquito viruses, education and electrical engineering