• FunCod_64@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Someone posted a can of beans in lemmy.world’s shitpost community and said lemmy users will upvote anything. It got a couple thousand likes and rose to the top of the feed. I found it mildly funny at the time, but the way it is still beeing regurgitated reminds me to much of reddit.

• FunCod_64@lemmygrad.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

True, together with lentils they are my goto protein source. If only they wouldn’t cause petarades… Or maybe I’m just cooking them wrong :D

• FunCod_64@lemmygrad.ml
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Oh I misspelled it. Petarades is a fancy word for farts. Read that somewhere and sounded kinda funny, as comes from pétarade (backfire) in french. English is not my first language so I though it would be more common than it actually is.

• 201dberg@lemmygrad.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

Bean farts can be completely negated by fermenting the beans with a salt brine like you would a sauerkraut, kimchi, pickles, etc. The lactobacillus and other probiotics will completely ferment the polysaccharides in the beans that cause the gas. The process takes time, about 4 weeks minimum, but that’s about what you would do for a fully fermented sauerkraut. It will also increase protein availability, soluble fiber, and decrease soluble sugars by up to 75%. I stagger my ferments so I always have some available. They can sit in the brine, fully fermented, for months if you have an air lock set up. I will also periodically ferment them pressure can them for long term storage.

• FunCod_64@lemmygrad.ml
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    1 year ago

Oh, this is super usefull info, thanks. I am no native speaker, is brine just salty water, or is there something else like vinegar required?

With air lock you mean like a mason jars?