I’ve been informed that adblock plus sort of sucks now. If you’re looking for one, go for UBlock Origin.

• usualsuspect191@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I’d be really curious how much my internet use “costs” to advertisers and if I could/would pay that amount instead.

Like, the advertiser paid $0.0005 to serve that ad to me so I’ll just pay that amount directly to the site and not be served the ad. Just incorporate it into my internet bill and I’d pay just like I do for power or gas. And would my willingness to not see ads make me more or less valuable to advertisers and affect the math?

I don’t like the subscription model as it seems like the price point isn’t based on actual cost at all and like they’re double-dipping by still selling my info. Charge me the actual cost plus a reasonable profit margin of 10%-20%. How much would that be? Is advertising really so valuable that I wouldn’t be willing to pay that amount? If so, are advertisers overselling the efficacy of their product?

• Touching_Grass@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Go the other way and create anti advertising. Every time an ad invades your time, create your own ad like how you think it tastes like cancer or that you think this podcast broke up your marriage.

• Trail@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I’ll be honest and say I don’t really understand what you are trying to convey.

• Mossheart@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

You get an ad for diet pills, and then instead of moving on with your life, create an ad saying those diet pills cause cancer and get those ads served in a vain hope to kill the initial ad.

• rchive@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

There were some microtransaction services that sort of worked like this. I think one was called Flattr? I don’t know how well they actually worked or what happened to them.