• psychothumbs@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think that’s pretty much the opposite of this author’s view on capitalism actually.

What’s the significance of that difference in international recognition? Certainly makes a difference to the facts on the ground, but not really to which side you should be supporting.

• Candelestine@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I was using the capitalism analogy to try to illustrate my disagreement with basing one’s choice of who they support off of any single principle. Any flaws in that principle will make the logical structure you’re basing your overall value system on unstable.

I do not base my support for anyone or anything off of any single principle. Things are too complicated for that in my opinion. Israel is a military ally, and we have a responsibility to support them to a certain degree because of this. Much like Turkey, they are a very imperfect ally, but they have their value.

This stands in the way of my ability to fully support the Palestinian people where it does not stand in the way of my support for the Ukrainians. Thus I disagreed with OP’s title. While I do condemn Israel’s behavior, I cannot in good faith categorize them mentally or emotionally as I would Russia.

• psychothumbs@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Israel is a military ally of who? They United States? You do not have a responsibility to support countries that your country makes military alliances with. And in that case in particular, Israel is a giant weight around America’s neck, endlessly drawing it into conflicts while giving back nothing of value. Even if you don’t care at all about Palestinians, pure geopolitics recommends the US cut Israel loose.