Nadella, Gates, and Ballmer have all admitted to Microsoft’s mobile mistakes.

• vivadanang@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

yeah, more competition - not another gigantic conglomerate that wants to integrate my phone into my operating system.

more competition would be great, another google/apple type - meh.

• emergencyfood@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Unfortunately only a ‘gigantic conglomerate’ stands a chance against Google and Apple. The other smartphone OSs - Ubuntu, Manjaro etc. - have a tiny market share.

Just look at how Firefox OS struggled even in developing countries, where it could run much better than Android in low-end smartphones. Then Reliance (a big and very cut-throat company) licenced it and now it has a decent marketshare in India. There are plenty of good alternative OSs, but without a big war chest they aren’t getting mainstream acceptance.

• knotthatone@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I’m hoping the slow creep of right to repair laws will help with this. Forcing manufacturers to provide spare parts, documentation and diagnostic tools to independent shops I think will inevitably lead to more open devices in general.

There would already be a vibrant community of smartphone Linux distros right now if bootloaders were unlocked and manufacturers were more forthcoming with documentation.

• vivadanang@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

very good point. the best use for that ewaste would be decent retreads for people who just need a phone and don’t care that it’s a few years from ‘latest and greatest’.