Nadella, Gates, and Ballmer have all admitted to Microsoft’s mobile mistakes.

• reddig33@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

There’s nothing stopping Microsoft from coming out with a new phone line, other than poor management.

• RojoSanIchiban@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Replace “new phone line” with pretty much anything ‘positive’ and it fits Microsoft.

Better OS? Nope! Shit management. Better productivity software? Nope! Shit management. Better cloud and virtualization platform? Nope! Shit management.

The first day I used Windows 8 RC, I was flabbergasted that anyone approved that dumpster fire for release. They’ve been trying to unfuck that ever since, and at dead snail’s pace. Thanks, shit management! You’re why I left systems administration to be a bad programmer!

• DinosaurSr@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

What do you program in? Ive really enjoyed the new .NET ecosystem, but I’m sure it’ll go to shit eventually just like the rest of their products…

• RojoSanIchiban@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

That’s the irony! Mainly working in C# .NET (and some SSIS) and maintaining an unfair amount of legacy VB on ETL processes.

FWIW I was working in Java on the middle-end of Oracle for a few years before changing positions to where I am.

But at least I’m never on-call!

• jollyrogue@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

For real. AOSP is open source, and Google is taking more things private. MS could start driving AOSP since FOSS projects go where the group contributing the most wants it to go.

• thisisawayoflife@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

That would force them to adopt different languages internally though. I don’t know what they are doing these days, but something tells me it’s not kotlin and jetpack.

• jollyrogue@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

They’re already talking up .NET MAUI. Their cross-platform C# application UI.

I’m also not sure MS cares that much if that gets them in the game.

• Phen@lemmy.eco.br
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

That’s really not a big barrier. Just add a couple folks with experience in the desired tech and any good dev team will continue to be a good dev team, even if everything changed under them.

• thisisawayoflife@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Absolutely, they could if they wanted to and they do have Android devs on staff for the Xbox app. I just get the impression there isn’t a lot of focus put on those efforts (given the state and featureset of said Android app). But, they could focus on it if they really cared about it. Problem is, it’s an unknown to the C level execs so it’s probably too risky to spend money on. Gotta keep those shareholder profits up or risk their positions.

• YⓄ乙 @aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I wish this can be true but that’s bow how trillion dollar companies work. There’s lot of redtape involved. Think of it as one drug dealer is not allowed to deal drugs on other dealers turf. But something tell me if we start praising elon , probably he’ll take the bait and might drive aosp away from google but I also fear he might burn the whole thing down to the ground lol

• lemmyvore@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

It’s not that easy on the hardware side. Keep in mind that the way both Google and Microsoft previously entered this market was by buying an established manufacturer (Motorola and Nokia, respectively). But Microsoft squandered Nokia’s manufacturing assets and would need to either start from scratch or acquire somebody else. But there aren’t many manufacturers left that are decent, non-Chinese, and willing to sell.

There’s also the option to pair with a manufacturer and ask them to put Microsoft’s OS on their phones, but Google would most likely lean on anybody attempting that and threaten to revoke their access to Android trademark and Google Services. Samsung is the only manufacturer in a position to tell them to suck it but they’re locked into a complex struggle with Google and it’s anybody’s guess if taking Microsoft on board would help or hinder their position.

• yildo@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

The appeal of the “we could have been a contender” fantasy for Microsoft is the idea that they’d be printing money by collecting the 30% tax on apps and in-app purchases. If they were 100% dependent on Samsung, they’d be printing at least 50% less money

• Kit@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Microsoft does make phones - the Surface Duo line. Unfortunately it’s really not comparable to other phones in the same price range.

• SeaJ@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Windows Phone failed because there were no apps for it. There was no YouTube app, no Facebook app, no Twitter app, etc until very late or never at all. They should have just paid developers to make the apps so that people would buy the phones. The OS was great and worked on a wide range of hardware. It could have been a great enterprise solution and they seemed to be heading that direction but the lack of third party made it little more than A Microsoft feature phone.

• Brkdncr@artemis.camp
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

They literally couldn’t pay the devs. Netflix for instance flat out refused to have blackberry pay for 2 full time devs to maintain an app.

Netflix looked at the market share and determined that there was 0 benefit. The people that were on blackberry devices already had a Netflix account.

Additionally Blackberry store apps were compelling for devs. Dev feedback included ease of development and more importantly they made a lot more money on the blackberry store than on iOS/android, both because the cut was better and they could jack the prices up because the customers were not nearly as frugal.

To get into mobile would require a massive overhaul of windows apps to get them mobile-friendly

Oh look, that’s exactly what they did and now we have PWAs for lots of apps. Maybe MS is getting ready to take a stab at mobile again.

• TWeaK@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Netflix have a different relationship with Microsoft than they did with Blackberry, MS would have had much more clout.

• lemmyvore@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Actually, the main cause it failed was because Microsoft bullied the manufacturers until they said enough and bailed out. So they were forced to buy a manufacturer to keep going (Nokia) then gave up halfway through after buying it.

Microsoft has stupid amounts of cash and could have kept Windows Phone going indefinitely, even at a loss. It’s how they broke into the console market, by keeping the Xbox going at a loss for a decade.

Yeah the lack of apps would have been a problem initially but everybody would have relented given enough time, and in the meantime most of the missing services could have been accessed in a browser.

• teamonkey@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

They couldn’t even be bothered developing their own apps for it. The mail app began to lag behind Outlook on Android, Minecraft was never ported to it when it could have been a killer exclusive app.

• SeaJ@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Google was often guilty of that too. I remember a number of Android apps that were pretty far behind the iOS ones. I don’t think that is the case anymore though.

• candybrie@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

There were also a bunch of iOS apps behind Android ones. Remember when iOS finally got widgets? Different companies focused on different functionality first. But at this point, android and iOS have had the time to play catch-up with each other.

• SeaJ@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Difference being that Apple does not make Android apps. Google’s own apps on iOS were behind their own on Android. I recall the YouTube and Maps app missing some features for quite a while on Android that were on IOS. I get that companies silo teams from each other but it’s a little embarrassing when you’re software on your platform is behind your software on your competitor’s platform.

OS-wise, yeah it has largely been Apple playing catch up with iOS aside from messaging.

• Matty_r@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

That reminded me when the Remote Desktop app turned up on Android before the Windows Phone. Ludicrous.

• DontTreadOnBigfoot@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

This was the downfall of BlackBerry as well.

QNX-based BB10 OS was phenomenal, and their hardware was top notch.

It was the lacking app ecosystem that killed it.

• lemmyvore@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

You need to read up on the fall of Blackberry. It was extremely badly mismanaged. It wasn’t the lack of apps that killed them.

• ChickenLadyLovesLife@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I was a BB developer right around the time of their demise. It never mattered how good or bad their OS was, because the development environment for BB was complete shit - which was a big part of why nobody wrote apps for it.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

They should have just paid developers to make the apps so that people would buy the phones.

Blackberry at their end (circa 2011 or so) started handing out $10,000 grants to developers to make apps for them. I thought about applying for one, but $10K is not much at all to develop a decently-featured app that does anything, and BB’s development environment was such an unbelievable clusterfuck that really no amount of money could have made worthwhile to endure.

Also: 16-bit color lol.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

5 bits each for red and blue and 6 for green. Who needs more than that?

The only reason I liked it at all was that I created a lot of owner-drawn controls (since the built-in Blackberry “fields” were shit) that used a lot of bitmap memory for animation, and reducing your memory footprint by a factor of two (compared to 32-bit graphics) wasn’t worthless, especially for the older devices.

• _pete_@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

They totally did that

The problem was that people weren’t really interested in any of it.

The UI was cluttered and messy to look at, none of it was as polished or natural to use as iOS or Android.

Plus there was no Google Maps, no Google Docs (and Office 365 wasn’t around to replace it), even that apps that were in the store felt pretty bad quality. I had Spotify on my iPhone and it was nearly flawless, when I switched to Windows Phone it kept cutting out or crashing or disconnecting from the mobile connection, it just wasn’t fully baked.

• eek2121@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

That is because every single mobile version of Windows was incompatible (After version 6) with the previous. They kept reinventing the wheel over and over again.

• jonne@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Yep, if you don’t even have the stuff the first iPhone came with, your platform isn’t going to make it.

• Joker
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

The first iPhone didn’t come with those things. There wasn’t even an App Store until a year and a half after it came out. The first gen was pretty much crap. It didn’t have 3g when other phones of the time did. It had the best browser but it was slow as shit. The whole page would turn gray when you scrolled around. There was no copy/paste. You couldn’t sync with Exchange. It was missing basic features that other phones of the time had. It was probably the 3GS or the 4 when it got really good.

• pycorax@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

WP had a far superior 3rd party YouTube app than any other platform’s first party app at the time. The only reason why they didn’t have a first party was because Google was intentionally throwing road blocks to prevent it from happening.

• Phen@lemmy.eco.br
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

They also had Nokia’s maps which at the time were somehow faaar superior to Google’s, even though Google Maps was the most popular platform.

• Phen@lemmy.eco.br
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

The first iPhone didn’t have anything. In terms of features it was laughable and it could barely be considered a smartphone. It succeeded because it was a phone on a touch screen that worked better than any previous attempt at touch screens.

Everything that made iPhone relevant against Android only came out later. Apple had a large quick start on hardware and UX, Android had a large quick start on the feature set. They both worked to close the gap and now we have two very similar products.

Microsoft didn’t have that gap with Android on the OS level in any way. It could do everything. But they didn’t have apps, because the devs didn’t want a third OS to exist. Devs who just wanted to expand their customer base were making apps for wp just fine. Companies who wanted to manipulate the market into what was more convenient for them did not. Regular folks were making apps to get YouTube, Snapchat, Instagram and that sort of stuff working on wp just fine - someone even made a Pokémon Go client that actually worked on windows phone, but the companies behind those platforms actively wanted those apps to not exist in any way.

• Darkhoof@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Yes, they were. These bastards destroyed the biggest European tech company for nothing. And Nokia had all the services required and the technical know-how to rival Google.

• 018118055@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

All credit to Microsoft, but as an ex Nokian my feeling is that Nokia killed itself unwittingly when it bought NavTeq. Because of that sunk cost, they were unwilling to adopt Android as it would invalidate the acquisition, with the leaders responsible still at the reins. Life with Android would be far from the heyday of the past, but living is living.

• alcasa@lemmy.sdf.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I was using the N900 when it came out and at that point Android was in no way superior to whatever Nokia was doing. Their main misstep was choosing Windows Phone and shipping the N9 as a dead-on-arrival product. Nonetheless the UX was pretty ahead of its time and we could have had a real Qt based Linux phone OS

• 018118055@sopuli.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              8 months ago

I love my N900 and N9 but by the time they were released Android already had unstoppable momentum. It’s all about software developers’ uptake of the platform. Maemo didn’t have it, WP had barely more, but neither was enough to compete. I think Nokia could have been the peer of Samsung as an Android OEM. Their logistics was arguably better even though they didn’t have the vertical integration of Samsung.

Edit: if they’d not had the risk-averse management a few years earlier the N770 could have developed into a competitive smartphone platform… But managers were fixated on candybar phones and endless variations on feature phones instead of reaching for their future.

• Phen@lemmy.eco.br
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Too be fair, it was a big bet and at that point it was Nokia’s only chance of remaining at the top. It they had used android at that point in time, they would have started from the bottom in the race for the android domination that was already seeing some large companies fail. Going with Android that late would at best turn them into another Sony Ericsson unless they executed everything perfectly (which wouldn’t happen with the large amount of in-fighting the company had). Going with Windows Phone would be all or nothing. Only time showed it ended up being nothing.

• asexualchangeling@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I’m not a Microsoft fan, in fact I think of windows the same way I would an abusive Ex, but there NEEDS To be more competition in the mobile space

• vivadanang@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

yeah, more competition - not another gigantic conglomerate that wants to integrate my phone into my operating system.

more competition would be great, another google/apple type - meh.

• emergencyfood@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Unfortunately only a ‘gigantic conglomerate’ stands a chance against Google and Apple. The other smartphone OSs - Ubuntu, Manjaro etc. - have a tiny market share.

Just look at how Firefox OS struggled even in developing countries, where it could run much better than Android in low-end smartphones. Then Reliance (a big and very cut-throat company) licenced it and now it has a decent marketshare in India. There are plenty of good alternative OSs, but without a big war chest they aren’t getting mainstream acceptance.

• knotthatone@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I’m hoping the slow creep of right to repair laws will help with this. Forcing manufacturers to provide spare parts, documentation and diagnostic tools to independent shops I think will inevitably lead to more open devices in general.

There would already be a vibrant community of smartphone Linux distros right now if bootloaders were unlocked and manufacturers were more forthcoming with documentation.

• vivadanang@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

very good point. the best use for that ewaste would be decent retreads for people who just need a phone and don’t care that it’s a few years from ‘latest and greatest’.

• Briongloid@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I think there is more room with another Android based OS akin to FireOS, a fully Microsoft version of Android, with their desig language over top of what wouldn’t need porting outside of Google based dependencies.

• jray4559@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

By the time he was CEO it was already dead. He was right to kill it.

I have my doubts that a three-horse phone race would have been stable in the first place, as one of those three (Android, iPhone was too established) would have likely fallen out of favor. And then, you all would be complaining about monopolistic practices Microsoft would inevitably be doing.

Google is not a good company, but they have treated Android much better than they could be.

• Phen@lemmy.eco.br
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Had Microsoft succeeded, things could have ended up the same as the pc market, with windows being used by big brands and Android being used by companies like 2011 Xiami, making highly customized experiences and that sort.

They say Microsoft lost Samsung to Android by being one month too late. Had they finished that first windows phone one month earlier, everything would probably be different today.

• joeyv120@ttrpg.network
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Windows phone was the best phone OS I ever experienced. Features were years ahead of iOS and Android.

• Joker
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I remember it being good hardware and the OS was actually really good. It felt very fast when a lot of Android phones still felt sluggish. What they really screwed up was the third party apps. Nobody was making anything for it and they didn’t give developers a reason to. It was a product that should have succeeded if not for bad management.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

This is really the same thing that happened with Blackberry. I’m a mobile developer and I was doing entirely Windows Mobile (which wasn’t Windows Phone) from 2005 to 2010, and then I got a Blackberry project dumped in my lap. I was astonished to find that 1) Blackberrys were actually very powerful and adaptable devices, and 2) BB’s development environment was the shittiest thing ever invented in the history of humanity.

• prashanthvsdvn@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Man you didn’t have to remind me about my Q10. The phone is a hardware masterpiece and the only thing let down was the software going EOL last year. I only wish they release the firmware to public since they were shutting so community can take it from there.

• Joker
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Yeah, the situation reminds me of BlackBerry. I had the 8900 and it was my favorite phone. I remember when they finally did have a little App Store thing and it was terrible. They threw it together in a hurry so I can only imagine how shitty the dev tools were.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

Ironically enough, the dev tools were there (and shitty) from the very beginning in the early 2000s, and they were never really improved upon. The biggest problem was that the code libraries were broken up into multiple (and not completely logical) modules and each module you incorporated into your app had to be digitally signed by a remote server every time you wanted to run your in-development app. The signing server was often slow (or completely down) so sometimes it would take 45 minutes to an hour just to test out a one-line code change (the more modules you included in your app, the longer the overall signing process would take, so I frequently ended up writing my own methods to do standard shit that was in the libraries, just to avoid the compile time hit). Sometimes I would just give up and go home because testing was literally impossible.

On the other hand, it was a great built-in excuse for fucking off. If my managers ever caught me napping, I would just say the signing server was down. I was careful never to tell them about isthesigningserverdown.com, which back in the day told you whether the BB signing servers were actually down or not.

• Sir_Kevin@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

My brother had one and loved it! But outside of basic tasks he couldn’t do anything with it. Eventually he switched to Android just to have apps.

• Polar@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I tried it, but then realized I couldn’t even view my photos I took with my Nexus phone at the time. No Google photos app, and the web browser just took me to a page that said my phone isn’t supported.

YouTube was also only supported via a third party app, and was missing pretty much every feature.

As soon as I realized I would struggle to do the most basic tasks, I bailed.

• vivadanang@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

name a few. please.

I’m open to being wrong but you need to provide evidence to sway me, because I’ve used windows phones and developed for them when they were desperate to get games in their app store and it was wretched early on. like comically bad. so whatever firmed up over the years, please, enlighten me, I’m genuinely curious where they were years ahead.

• gingernate@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Fuck man I loved windows phone like the guy you’re commenting too, and I agree with him. I could have commented and told you all the features I liked that were ahead of its time, about 8 years ago, but … It’s been so long I can’t remember shit anymore! Hahaha

Edit: the Camara was fucking awesome. Physical Camara button was pretty dope too, never caught on with other phones so who knows if I’m alone in saying that

• Polar@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Google Nexus (and now Pixel) has always allowed you to double tap the power button to open the camera, and then use the volume buttons to take the photo. Or you can use the volume buttons to zoom in and out.

Isn’t this the same? Dedicated buttons that launch the camera and take photos?

• rikonium
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Similar but slightly inferior UX. No double-tapping, just a full press (I think) then you can half-press the camera key just like a normal camera to focus, then fully-press to capture. Small, but something I miss, like how if I switch to Android (save for some models) I’ll miss the Palm/iPhone ringer switch - but holding volume down is also something Android-y I miss.

• gingernate@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Samsung Galaxy phones are the same way, honestly I think you can even set up an iPhone to do that. It’s not the same … The lower was on the bottom right side of the phone, and was in a perfect position to hold your phone like a camera and snap a picture.

• Phen@lemmy.eco.br
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

It missed custom apps but all the default phone apps were really great. The “people” app already had everything the android’s “contacts” app implemented in subsequent years (everything it has today) and also integrated with social networks so if you accessed a contact you could see all their posts from every social media in a custom timeline.

The “me” app also integrated all your social media notifications into one app, allowing you to post to all of them from the same place, see replies and that sort of stuff.

I don’t remember what it was, but the “mail” app had a feature that was my favorite thing in the whole WP7, but by the time WP8 came out Google had already managed to make it not wok with Gmail.

Calendar, Camera, even the keyboard. All those default apps were filled with amazing little things. Many of which we STILL don’t have in android today.

In third world countries the difference was even bigger. The keyboard suggested local words and names of local places (no system does that these days), the Nokia maps were far more reliable than Google’s (my town had been split in half by a new train line and Google maps messed up their data with that, as some streets that used to cross the whole town now had multiple unconnected segments - if you tried to follow Google directions to a McDonald’s in one of those segments, it would send you into a slum in another segment).

Plus, the whole UI was cool and the flipping tiles were quite useful.

• SilentSeven@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Loved my 920. HW was sleek and the live tile interface was years ahead of those silly round dots you got on iOS or Android. Sadly they were too late to the game to secure any app interest…oh…and they were Microsoft as well.

• TORFdot0@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

The app support was just so bad in a time where it couldn’t afford to be that bad. But yes windows phone 8 was my favorite UX for a smart phone ever

• Hamartiogonic@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I actually had a W10 phone as my work phone. I had no issues with the OS, but app availability was absolutely abysmal. All the crazy W8 touch optimizations suddenly made a lot of sense. Too bad it died so soon.

• whofearsthenight@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

It’s very “going up to to your crush to let them know you’re over them but they don’t even know your name” energy.

• phoneymouse@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Microsoft had every advantage. They were in the mobile space for years before Apple with PocketPC. They also had a freaking tablet.

They fucked it up with uninspired design (a start menu and task bar on a mobile?!) and lack of follow through.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

If you’re talking about WinCE/Pocket, etc, it was an extremely bad UI paradigm for a phone and a button free design in this case made it worse, not better and no one copied that especially not after the iPhone was announced and shown.

The last iteration of Windows Phone (eg: Metro) was actually quite good, but wouldn’t have existed without iPhone/Android before it. It being more like iPhone wasn’t what hurt it, what hurt it was that they never got the dev support needed. My wife had a Windows phone for around a year, and the thing that ultimately moved her to iPhone wasn’t that she didn’t like the phone, it was that she was constantly left out of things because it was probably more rare for an app to hit Windows Phone than Linux.

Microsoft did have the right idea with getting to mobile/tablets before most, but MS has never really had good taste when it comes to software UI.

• jabjoe@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Part of their issue is their desktop and x86 legacy apps ecosystem was no use on ARM touch devices.

But more competition than 2 would have been nice. We need stuff to move back to mobile web apps instead of apps. Then it’s platform independence and the sandbox is interchangable.

• gmtom@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Fuck you, I loved the design of windows phone. Bring able to size the tiles different and have them show content on the home screen was awesome. And the hardware was cool too. I still look at the photos I took on my windows phone and compared to my galaxy s22 ultra they still look just as good if not better in some cases.

Honestly the wort thing about win phone was salty developers who not only refused to port apps over no matter how easy MS made it, but also went well out of their way to shut down any community apps made using their API, like the Snapchat dead did.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

There was also Windows CE, which was a real shitshow. I had a Vadem Clio, which I still wish I had because I was a beautiful piece of hardware… but it was so hampered by having Windows CE installed on it.

• Kit@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I worked selling cellphones when Windows Phone was trying to compete. Their failure was lack of apps. From what I understand, it was difficult to port apps from Android or iOS to Windows Phone OS. It’s a shame because the user experience was bar none. Hell, I installed a Windows OS theme on my Android for years. I still think they could make a comeback if they made an actual, honest to God Windows Phone that ran all Windows apps.

• TheCodeJanitor@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

It’s a cross platform UI framework using C#/.NET, mostly cross-mobile-platform, although technically it could make Windows desktop UIs too.

• scottyjoe9@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

They now spruke .NET MAUI (Multi-Platform App UI) as the new “write once, deploy everywhere” framework. I’ve not used it but it sounds good in theory 🤷‍♂️

• MrScottyTay@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

It’s very powerful. It’s great for making desktop apps too if you’re more used to using html and css for UI (if you use the Hybrid version - the standard uses XML exactly like Xamarin I believe). The only downfall it has at the moment is that it should also allow web deployment as a webapp too then it could be a true one and done framework.

You can get around it a bit by putting the pages into a library instead and have both a MAUI project and a Web so project that uses the same pages, just with different setups.

• TheCodeJanitor@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Basically, if you’re going to develop an app for different platforms (iPhone, Android, Windows desktop, etc), you usually have to have some/all of your code be specific to that platform. In some cases it may even have to be in different programming languages.

Xamarin is an attempt to let developers write code in one language (Microsoft’s C# language), with one common set of code that can then be installed on many different platforms.

In reality, it’s a little more complicated than that… but that’s the goal.

• DeadlineX@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

It’s a thing programmers use to make apps on iOS, android, and (previously) windows phone. It lets you use Microsoft’s words to translate into word that can be understood by iOS and android.

• Phen@lemmy.eco.br
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Supposedly they eventually got android apps to run on windows phone directly, the app devs would only need to publish their Android app to wp. But if they actually got that far they never released such an option.

I’ve heard that the tech they got from developing this Android app support eventually turned into the WSL system on windows (the windows feature that let’s you run a Linux kernel/terminal and subsequently, Linux programs)

• lightnegative@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Must’ve been WSL1 which they eventually abandoned. Trying to reimplement all the Linux syscalls on top of the Windows kernel was always going to be a neverending game of catch up.

WSL2 they just run an actual Linux kernel within Hyper-V

• Xero@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I used an Xperial back in high school too, it was better the Android and iOS in every way except the number of apps

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Zune was not especially great in terms of what it could do, true, but the hardware was also shit. Also, the first gen Zunes all bricked at one point due to some programming error.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

If they wanted to compete today, they’d fork Android in a similar fashion to how Edge moved to Chromium.

• SnowMeowXP@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

He finally admitted to it. I was a Windows Phone user until the end. It’s sad that it was discontinued.

• Snot Flickerman@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Dropping their plans for Continuum was foolish. Now we have fully featured Linux-based phones like the PinePhone that succeed where Microsoft’s plans for Continuum failed. (As in you can plug the PinePhone into peripherals for a desktop experience.)

Phones are pushing CPUs and RAM that are on par with laptops and desktops at this point. It seems a little superfluous if we’re not allowed to do real computing on these machines. Continuum was what I saw as the future of General Purpose Computing, by taking the locked down OS design of smart phones and giving them a desktop experience when plugged into peripherals.

Once every phone is also a desktop, you suddenly have opened all kinds of options for people who only have a phone, and not a full computer. Which, last I checked, is the majority of internet users who access it via their phones. Continuum would have been a literal game changer, and they gave up on it.

It would become a situation where everyone is like “I already have my phone, I’m not even going to bring my laptop unless I need it for specific function.” Because once your phone can be an on-the-go desktop, laptops will have less allure.

• fatboy93@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I don’t even care about other features. The tiling home screen of the OS was really nice to use and when used properly by the apps could result in a “live” OS unlike the iconographic interfaces of iOS and Android. The homescreen was also old-age friendly and really a pleasure to use.

The OS ram like really smooth on 512mb RAM, unlike their counterpart android phones which were struggling back then with 2-3GB RAM.

The lumias themselves had a ton of useful features like tap to wake etc, which didn’t consume much battery and in general the Nokia cameras were top notch for the time.

Basically, the OS got killed because of a chicken and egg problem with the apps, and the OS being from Microsoft, got a death knell because of the reputation. Also for some fucking reason, Microsoft decided that the already low userbase WP7s were to be depreciated rather than provide an upgrade path fo WP8 and WP10.

• prashanthvsdvn@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Bro I kid you not the way that crazy OS took advantage of AMOLED for pure black backgrounds in every screen and along with a fluid interactivity, that design style was like a blessing from god.

• Evilcoleslaw@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

If you’re on Android you should try Launcher 10. Very customizable Windows Phone tile interface. Although it has in-app purchases for a couple bucks each to disable ads and enable live tiles (they work really well) or alternatively a paid $0.99/month subscription for both. Still gets active support, as it just got one to improve support for foldable devices

• partial_accumen@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Once every phone is also a desktop, you suddenly have opened all kinds of options for people who only have a phone, and not a full computer. Which, last I checked, is the majority of internet users who access it via their phones. Continuum would have been a literal game changer, and they gave up on it.

At the time when Windows Phone was released, the iPad had been released 7 months prior (both in 2010). It looked like consumers would continue to own a desktop or laptop computer, likely running Windows. It certainly wasn’t clear that mobile phone and tablet computing power and functionality would rise to the point of consumers dropping laptops and desktops altogether as is happening today.

Choosing to back Continuum meant possibly losing two Windows desktop licenses, and possibly worse, an MS office license. Why would you need to buy multiple Microsoft licenses if your single Mobile Phone device held both your Phone, Mobile, and Desktop OS licenses, as well as your Office Suite license?

They weren’t willing to risk current day (at that time) profits for a future selling fewer licenses.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

They weren’t willing to risk current day (at that time) profits for a future selling fewer licenses.

That certainly matches their modus operandi. I would agree with this for the most part, but by 2010 they were already working on Office 365 and moving to the idea of Software as a Service. While Office 365 wouldn’t be functionally available to everyone until later in 2011, it was clear they had plans to work around having a license tied to a device, and instead starting to roll out Microsoft Accounts to which the licenses would be tied.

• DJDarren@thelemmy.club
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Why would you need to buy multiple Microsoft licenses

This is really beginning to bug me. How much cool stuff and innovation have we lost out on because the companies have to put their bottom line ahead of making great, all-in-one devices. They’re all at it, and I’m sick of it.

Like, the iPad is an incredible bit of kit, absolutely hampered by iPadOS, because Apple are shit scared of people choosing to use just an iPad instead of buying that and a Mac. Imagine how great an iPad Pro running macOS could be. Full OS when attached to a keyboard, iPadOS when in tablet mode.

With Motorola’s Atrix we saw a future where a smartphone with a decent amount of power could be dropped into a laptop case and immediately become a fully fledged PC. Every major smartphone manufacturer could offer that right now, but they’re too scared to cut into their revenue streams, so we end up getting offered the same shit every year.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I guess I should have been more specific. They’ve succeeded specifically at what continuum aimed to do, which was allow a full desktop experience when plugged into peripherals.

• jonne@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Man, I’m still disappointed that canonical bungled their play for an Ubuntu phone. A seemless transition between phone and desktop with their OS would’ve been amazing.

• Lemmylaugh@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Mistake for them but good for consumers. We all need more competition in this industry

• eric@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Huh? How was cancelling the third most popular phone OS in the US good for consumers or in any way increasing competition in the industry?

• dosse91@lemmy.trippy.pizza
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

As much as I dislike Microsoft, back in 2015 I used Windows Phone 8.1 for about 6 months and I absolutely loved it, the UI was so smooth and polished, even on low end phones, until WP10 came out and it ran like trash and I went back to LineageOS.

• kirk781@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Microsoft didn’t even provide a proper upgrade path for it’s users. WP7 couldn’t go to 8 and same for Windows Mobile 10.

• Phen@lemmy.eco.br
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Internally they were two very different things. WP7 was their old windows mobile with a new skin, while WP8 was the actual OS they had been working on for a long time. They felt the same but were very different. I guess they didn’t think it was worth the hassle trying to figure out how to handle that update.

I don’t know what was the deal with 10 though (I forgot it even existed tbh).

• UnspecificGravity@lemmings.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

It is funny to me that they gave up on the Windows phone right when it was starting to actually kinda work and gain some market traction.

• dangblingus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It was literally during an era where people were leaving iphone in droves (begrudgingly) for android. Windows phones could have easily stolen a ton of marketshare from Samsung and Google.

• aeternum@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

my favourite windows phone moment was when they had a funeral for the iphone lol