Nadella, Gates, and Ballmer have all admitted to Microsoft’s mobile mistakes.

• Joker
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I remember it being good hardware and the OS was actually really good. It felt very fast when a lot of Android phones still felt sluggish. What they really screwed up was the third party apps. Nobody was making anything for it and they didn’t give developers a reason to. It was a product that should have succeeded if not for bad management.

• ChickenLadyLovesLife@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

This is really the same thing that happened with Blackberry. I’m a mobile developer and I was doing entirely Windows Mobile (which wasn’t Windows Phone) from 2005 to 2010, and then I got a Blackberry project dumped in my lap. I was astonished to find that 1) Blackberrys were actually very powerful and adaptable devices, and 2) BB’s development environment was the shittiest thing ever invented in the history of humanity.

• Joker
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Yeah, the situation reminds me of BlackBerry. I had the 8900 and it was my favorite phone. I remember when they finally did have a little App Store thing and it was terrible. They threw it together in a hurry so I can only imagine how shitty the dev tools were.

• ChickenLadyLovesLife@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

Ironically enough, the dev tools were there (and shitty) from the very beginning in the early 2000s, and they were never really improved upon. The biggest problem was that the code libraries were broken up into multiple (and not completely logical) modules and each module you incorporated into your app had to be digitally signed by a remote server every time you wanted to run your in-development app. The signing server was often slow (or completely down) so sometimes it would take 45 minutes to an hour just to test out a one-line code change (the more modules you included in your app, the longer the overall signing process would take, so I frequently ended up writing my own methods to do standard shit that was in the libraries, just to avoid the compile time hit). Sometimes I would just give up and go home because testing was literally impossible.

On the other hand, it was a great built-in excuse for fucking off. If my managers ever caught me napping, I would just say the signing server was down. I was careful never to tell them about isthesigningserverdown.com, which back in the day told you whether the BB signing servers were actually down or not.

• prashanthvsdvn@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Man you didn’t have to remind me about my Q10. The phone is a hardware masterpiece and the only thing let down was the software going EOL last year. I only wish they release the firmware to public since they were shutting so community can take it from there.