Nadella, Gates, and Ballmer have all admitted to Microsoft’s mobile mistakes.

• Kit@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I worked selling cellphones when Windows Phone was trying to compete. Their failure was lack of apps. From what I understand, it was difficult to port apps from Android or iOS to Windows Phone OS. It’s a shame because the user experience was bar none. Hell, I installed a Windows OS theme on my Android for years. I still think they could make a comeback if they made an actual, honest to God Windows Phone that ran all Windows apps.

• TheCodeJanitor@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

It’s a cross platform UI framework using C#/.NET, mostly cross-mobile-platform, although technically it could make Windows desktop UIs too.

• scottyjoe9@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

They now spruke .NET MAUI (Multi-Platform App UI) as the new “write once, deploy everywhere” framework. I’ve not used it but it sounds good in theory 🤷‍♂️

• MrScottyTay@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

It’s very powerful. It’s great for making desktop apps too if you’re more used to using html and css for UI (if you use the Hybrid version - the standard uses XML exactly like Xamarin I believe). The only downfall it has at the moment is that it should also allow web deployment as a webapp too then it could be a true one and done framework.

You can get around it a bit by putting the pages into a library instead and have both a MAUI project and a Web so project that uses the same pages, just with different setups.

• TheCodeJanitor@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Basically, if you’re going to develop an app for different platforms (iPhone, Android, Windows desktop, etc), you usually have to have some/all of your code be specific to that platform. In some cases it may even have to be in different programming languages.

Xamarin is an attempt to let developers write code in one language (Microsoft’s C# language), with one common set of code that can then be installed on many different platforms.

In reality, it’s a little more complicated than that… but that’s the goal.

• DeadlineX@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

It’s a thing programmers use to make apps on iOS, android, and (previously) windows phone. It lets you use Microsoft’s words to translate into word that can be understood by iOS and android.

• Phen@lemmy.eco.br
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Supposedly they eventually got android apps to run on windows phone directly, the app devs would only need to publish their Android app to wp. But if they actually got that far they never released such an option.

I’ve heard that the tech they got from developing this Android app support eventually turned into the WSL system on windows (the windows feature that let’s you run a Linux kernel/terminal and subsequently, Linux programs)

• lightnegative@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Must’ve been WSL1 which they eventually abandoned. Trying to reimplement all the Linux syscalls on top of the Windows kernel was always going to be a neverending game of catch up.

WSL2 they just run an actual Linux kernel within Hyper-V

• Xero@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I used an Xperial back in high school too, it was better the Android and iOS in every way except the number of apps

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Zune was not especially great in terms of what it could do, true, but the hardware was also shit. Also, the first gen Zunes all bricked at one point due to some programming error.

• whofearsthenight@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

If they wanted to compete today, they’d fork Android in a similar fashion to how Edge moved to Chromium.