Has anyone done this? Its a very proprietary program lol, so I can imagine that doesnt work.

But its powerful and my Uni supports it. I am fine with just following classes on Uni PCs and then learning QGis myself, but yeah…

Are there any tricks for running “modern”, maybe DRM infested Software?

Also, how I did it was always just running executables in existing Bottles, as I dont get having a new small OS for each app. But that doesnt seem to work that well in Bottles.

• Pantherina@feddit.deOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Yeah thats an entirely different thing. My GPU is weird and virt-manager doesnt work, while OpenGL enabled VMs are nice and smooth but had other problems with the correct viewer and all…

Asked ChatGPT for every damn parameter or viewer, user virt-viewer, remote-viewer, VNC, some GTK viewer.

• Billegh@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Unless things have changed, graphics card passthrough is tough to use because you need two graphics cards. The one sent to the VM can’t be used on the host if you plan on using the guest. For laptops this can be impossible to reconcile, and even for desktops this can be… weird.

• TCB13@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

It all comes down to a question of how much time (days? months?) you want spend fixing things on Linux that simply work out of the box under Windows for a minimal fee. Buy a Windows license and spend the time you would’ve spent dealing with Linux issues doing your actual job and you’ll, most likely, get a better ROI. Windows licenses are cheap and you get things working out of the box. Software runs fine, all vendors support whatever you’re trying to do and you’ll be productive from day zero. There are annoyances from time to time, sure, but they’re way fewer and simpler to deal with than the hoops you’ve to go through to get a minimal and viable/productive Linux desktop experience.

• TCB13@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

15 minutes and 2 months fixing Wine and countless hours dealing with compatibility issues when someone sends you a doc.

• yukijoou@lemmy.blahaj.zone
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

they’re talking about a VM, not wine. if you have a powerful enough computer to spare some resources, and don’t have a graphically-intensive application, a VM is probably a good choice if you like/need linux for most of your workflow!

• TCB13@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

What’s the point in running all your major apps in a VM? You’ll still have all the “problems” of Windows with the additional overhead of having two operating systems running…

Also virtualization is a pain not only for “graphically-intensive applications”, anything that uses GPU acceleration won’t perform that well, even the Windows UI itself. GPU passthrough is also a pain because it requires another GPU and even then you’ll have to get the image back to your system in some way which will have a performance impact on framerate.

• yukijoou@lemmy.blahaj.zone
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

i’m not saying that you should use a VM if everything on your PC requires windows… only if one specific app you sometimes need doesn’t work on linux!

as someone studying foreign languages for example, i know that if i want to do translation, i’ll have to use windows for some specific proprietary cat software. but i don’t spend my whole time in a cat software! i would also need to work with email, and some projects would require me to use a browser-based tao software, and in those cases, i’d much prefer being on linux to use things like a better japanese input, tiling window management if on a laptop, and generally, not having to deal with advertisments!