it’s never just ads or subscriptions, it’s a shitty integrated fucking garbage algoritm driven with content you don’t want to see shown to you, the interface is ALWAYS shittier and worse, no explanation, just that it looks ‘modern’

i’m so fucking sick of it lads

• JasSmith@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Companies seek profit but let’s not forget that as people, we control what we buy and use. We’re here on Lemmy because we reject the bullshit. If more of us rejected the bullshit, they stop doing it.

• Foggyfroggy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

But it takes a while to detect, form an opinion, then act on it. Suppose that 10,000 people per day reject some brand, say this is enough!, and refuse to buy their products. Well, the marketing and sales department has its work cut out: use mild deception, purchase competitors, change local laws, and make sure that more customers are added than the attrition. And even if they didn’t add any new customers, there are so many current customers for companies like proctor and gamble or nestle, that it will still take 15,000 days or 41 years for even half of the US population to “reject” the brand or company. It’s just not feasible for individuals to fight corporate advertising and marketing mechanics on appropriate time and economic scales.

But compared to a government regulatory body? That scares a company or industry, or at least it used to :(

• conciselyverbose@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It doesn’t make sense to expect it to be linear. It’s (in some manner) proportional to the number of users and to the number of other people who quit.

• Foggyfroggy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Yeah, I agree, and sadly that busy marketing department can directly affect the attrition rate with no change to the product or corporate behavior. Price discovery and value is so detached from real demand through monopolies, vertical integration, and regulatory capture that it doesn’t even matter what customers want. I’m still waiting for fast and cheap internet that they’ve been promising for 25 years.

Edit: even the Reddit-Apollo dust up revealed that customer opinion is at best one consideration of many and relevant only at certain times.

• edgarallenpwn@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

With the whole Netflix fiasco I offered to set up a VPN at my brother in law’s house (primary account holder) to get around it. Everyone was on board until I tried to show them how to use it. Now we are all giving him a few extra bucks a month because of the convenience for non tech people.

The best part is they all have access to my Plex server and just have to ask to get something. Maybe Ombi might be worth setting up.