Why is it that Americans refer to 24 hour time as military time? I understand that the military uses the 24hr format but I don’t understand why the general public would refer to it like that?

It makes it seem like it’s a foreign concept where as in a lot of countries it’s the norm.

• Bahnd Rollard@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

GMT observes daylight savings as it is in Greenwich England, this is not consistent between countries. UTC does not observe daylight savings.

• nicknoxx@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Er, not sure if I understand you but In Greenwich we use GMT in winter and BST in summer so GMT doesn’t change.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Different countries that observe DTS pick different days to do the switches. Also the closer to the equator you wre the higher likelyhood they dont observe it at all.

• WigglyTortoise
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

The point is that GMT isn’t changing, the region is switching to an entirely different time zone, BST (British Summer Time). If your time is based on GMT, it won’t change due to British daylight saving time because GMT never changes.

For a similar example, in the part of the US that uses Mountain Time, states observe MST (Mountain Standard Time) in the winter, and most switch to MDT (Mountain Daylight Time) in the summer. However, Arizona doesn’t observe daylight saving time, so they remain on MST. MST always stays the same (GMT-7), the time is only changing because the states are observing a different time zone. The same happens with GMT and BST, it’s just harder to see because you can’t pick out areas that remain on GMT all year.

• jucelc@lemmy.wtf
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

But in Europe we don’t say German Mean Time or Spanish Mean Time when changing to summer time. We increment GMT+1. So it becomes GMT+2. Then we revert back to GMT+1 in winter.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Thank you for the correction and the reference. The only time I can think of where these sort of distinction would come into play anyway would be if you asked a person in London the time from somewhere else vs. looking it up on a website. I dont exactly have any UK friends I call to look at clocks for me.