alt text

tweet by Johann Hari: The core of addiction is not wanting to be present in life, because pour life is too painful a place to be. This is why imposing more pain or punishment on a person with an addiction problem actually makes their addiction worse.

• schmidtster@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

A lot of doctors even are starting to recommend not medicating as that can disrupt your coping mechanisms and make your issues worse in some cases.

• Warl0k3@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I feel like those doctors must not have much of a clue what having ADHD is like - my coping mechanisms keep me from killing myself, sure, but they do sweet fuck all to help me get my laundry done…

• yemmly@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Consider replacing your washer with a fire pit. You’ll find dealing with your laundry less of a chore, because fire.

• novibe@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

But maybe not doing laundry as often is better than feeling like an emotionless zombie… medication affects people differently. Maybe “just” coping and surviving is better than being “normal” and productive for some people.

• lolcatnip@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

That trope needs to die. Medication doesn’t make me feel like a zombie at all. Not even a little bit. I’d happily take more of my liver could deal with it.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Your experience does not equate to all people. Lots of people have very serious side effects.

• SmoothIsFast@citizensgaming.com
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

It’s called being on the wrong meds, yes I’ve dealt with it and finding your medication for the myriad of ways ADHD effects brain chemistry is fucking terrible but finding the correct med and dosage is not gonna zombify you it’s gonna feel like a you just had the best night of sleep and can finally just do something without fighting yourself.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 months ago

And some people will never find that right med and need to deal with a myriad of side effects.

Your experience isn’t what others experience.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Yep so the doctor would recommend a service to do your laundry, leaves you more “me time” to handle the stress. Taking medication has side effects as well, very few of them are fun. My kid hasn’t gained a pound in a year since starting his medication. Sure it helps him focus, but he’s now falling behind on his growth and has trouble sleeping through the night. You’re trading problems for other problems. Medication is not some magic fix all, that’s pure ignorance.

It’s funny that you think a doctor knows less than you…….

• lolcatnip@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

It’s funny that you think a doctor knows less than you…….

A lot of doctors disagree with other doctors. Lots of them straight up don’t believe in ADHD, or adult ADHD in particular. Hell yes I believe I know more than some random random doctor about my own personal experiences, especially if the doctor refuses to acknowledge established medical science.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Like you are now with giving people side effects instead of working with them?

The established medical science is to try to figure out why the person needs to cope more or need medicine, most symptoms of ADHD can actually be resolved by dealing with issues at home, better diet, more accommodations. Forcing other peoples ideas of what normal is and medicating someone until they fit it, isn’t what any doctor recommends.

Unless they care more about money from prescriptions than actually helping someone and dealing with the root causes.

Now not everyone can have their home life improved and would require medicine, but that’s not saying that things couldn’t also be better without medicine.

Sounds like you need to do some research and get more than one doctors opinion here.

• lolcatnip@reddthat.com
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

I’ve seen numerous doctors about my ADHD as well as a counselor who specializes in ADHD. The root cause is my fucking brain doesn’t work right. I don’t have ADHD from a messed up home life or whatever you’re imagining.

And how am I giving people side effects? I’m a fucking patient. Take your condescending bullshit somewhere else.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                8 months ago

Adhd is congenital it doesn’t come from home issues, but resolving home issues would make someone not need to cope. People just need to be loved instead of pushed away for their disorder.

I’m sorry your doctors haven’t explained this to you yet apparently. Not everyone can resolve home issues and is why medication is still an option.

• SmoothIsFast@citizensgaming.com
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 months ago

People just need to be loved instead of pushed away for their disorder.

Straight up no, I need fucking dopamine so my brain can function. Sure home issues can EXACERBATE ones struggles but they are not a root cause. ADHD is a spectrum, and sure some may not have it to the same extent where adjusting one’s home life can reduce their struggles to the point where it no longer impacts their day to day, but that does not mean it’s a one stop solution for ADHD. In many cases, getting to a baseline where you can function REQUIRES medication. The fact you do not understand this shows your complete lack of understanding when it comes to ADHD, for your kids sake I really hope you decide to learn more about it or your gonna fuck that kid up by not allowing them to be properly prepared for their future. Ffs talk about complete ignorance thinking ADHD is solvable with a loving home.

link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    8 months ago

Yeah that’s issue, your loving family isn’t giving you your dopamine replacement so you require meds.

You can absolutely fix someone’s home life so they don’t need to be medicated, but not everyone’s parents or family want to help them with that.

You don’t ever need dopamine, there replacements and other stuff to get that high.

Your ignorance is why there’s the stigmata that people need help are drug addicts.

I’ve shown I understand the nuances of ADHD quite well, I am sorry that you’re hearing stuff that you don’t want to hear, you’re also showing symptoms with your stubbornness and lack of wanting to understand.

And yes adhd can be resolved with a loving home, im sorry you’ve been lied to by your family or doctor since they didn’t want to help. Maybe find a doctor who’s been using evidence and methods that aren’t outdated and proven ineffective.