alt text

tweet by Johann Hari: The core of addiction is not wanting to be present in life, because pour life is too painful a place to be. This is why imposing more pain or punishment on a person with an addiction problem actually makes their addiction worse.

• guckfoogle@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Yeah you could, but me, my family, or friends can’t and I much prefer society being that way. And I’m talking about hard drugs, I could literally get weed or psychedelics anytime and in a lot of cities. I just wouldn’t want my little nieces and nephews getting hooked on meth or heroine from a store and having a new industry that could legally abuse peoples addictive tendencies.

• dependencyinjection
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Brother you sound pretty naive.

I don’t drink alcohol, never have, and that’s available in every store.

If you think just because something is decriminalised or legalised then the usage will increase then you’re misinformed. You can look at legal marijuana in many countries, or even Portugal and Switzerlands approach to harder drugs to see that isn’t the case.

It’s hardly like it’s carte blanche for companies to start marketing crack to kids. In fact it should be government controlled and the proceeds can go to educating people. Or we could just do what we’ve done since the war on drugs started which has had little to no effect on the trafficking of drugs.

Furthermore, by limiting these substances to the black market, you’re essentially happy for the proceeds to fund larger crimes like terrorism which will result in someone’s else’s nieces or nephews being killed. Also, you’re happy for the drug cartels to control some counties, what about the nieces and nephews in those counties?

Incredibly naive.

Finally, it’s heroin. Heroine is a courageous female.

• guckfoogle@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I’m not saying I agree with the current state of the drug war, I just think the state should have the power to snatch you up and put you in treatment if you’re clearly addicted and constantly using hard drugs like heroin, meth, crack. I spent half my life in NJ and the other half in Iowa so I’ve seen how hard drugs like meth & crack could completely destroy people from varying ethnicities & socioeconomic backgrounds.

And Seattle did decriminalize drugs only to go back to making it illegal, because their streets started filling up with junkies and ruining their city. Some drugs deserve to be illegal to be served to humans because of how it completely destroys them, it’s just much better for society to lock people up and force them to be sober then for a state to willingly serve poison to its citizens. And if you think alcohol is addictive as meth or crack then you’re the one who’s utterly naive.