AI-created child sexual abuse images ‘threaten to overwhelm internet’::Internet Watch Foundation finds 3,000 AI-made abuse images breaking UK law

• yetAnotherUser@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

potentially society-shattering fuckery

Clearly cameras, screens and the internet shouldn’t have been invented. After all - they facilitate the creation and spread of CSAM!

• HeavyDogFeet@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Ah, so you’re just going to ignore how vastly different the rollout of all those technologies was compared to the breakneck pace that generative AI tools are being made available to essentially everyone on earth with almost no oversight? I get that ignoring absolutely all the details makes it seem like my skepticism is unreasonable, but it’s a little dishonest, no?

• yetAnotherUser@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I don’t see how AI will potentially shatter society. You can’t prevent AI models from being misused any more than you can prevent the internet from being misused.

The biggest danger of AI is the capability of spreading orchestrated misinformation. Since this is mostly done by state actors nothing can be done against it. I’m not opposed to AI regulation, it’s just that generating images or text is not what’s worrying about AI.

• HeavyDogFeet@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

I didn’t say image or text generation specifically is what would be society-shattering. There are lots of concerning aspects of these tool, and combined with the pace they’re being developed, its pretty clear that we’re not really prepared for the damage these can cause.