Can anyone recommend an app that will automatically send SMS to my wife several times a day? Preferably at non-set intervals (so she doesn’t get it every day at exactly noon) and randomly selected “I love you”, “Your the best” etc. so I can focus on my work and still have her happy that she feels thought of throughout the day?

• n7gifmdn@lemmy.caOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

The biggest problem is my ADHD, if I pick up my cell phone during the work day, its near impossible for me to get anything else done that day, because the internet exists. It probably makes me an asshole, but she’s been married to an asshole for 15 years.

• Cobrachicken@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Ok, this changes the story considerably, you might have mentioned that initially.

Same with me, but without the ADHD. When I have to do shitty jobs I hate, like accounting, I let the family know that right now I’m motivated enough to do %task and that they should leave me alone completely for that, cos otherwise that will never be completed. They learned to accept that.

So maybe instead of emulating sth that you’re not made to fulfil to nobodys fault you ever thought about explaining that facts to her so she can accept that? I do think she is rewarded with her own focus time afterwards, as compensation.

• n7gifmdn@lemmy.caOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

LOL! “explaing the facts so she can accept them” how long have you been married?

It doesn’t change the story and there is no need to put that in my OP, this kind of stuff has no reason being in an adroid forum.

• Cobrachicken@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Well your initial post seemed alien to me, hence my first “wtf?” comment. Imho this fact changes the story considerably, see my second post. I can explain in detail, if that still does not click.

Our mileages apparently vary, but with some things/behaviours inherent to my personality, things that make me me, I am not prepared to emulate different behaviour just to fulfil s/o other’s expectations. They can take that or leave.

This is ofc just my personal opinion, and you can subscribe or not.

You are correct that this usually does not belong in an Android forum so please accept my profound apologies if I overstepped.

• LegendofZelda64@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Don’t listen to all the haters, man. ADHD is a bitch for remembering to do anything and I think it’s adorable you want to make sure your wife gets care and affirmation throughout the day from you. Whether you type the message yourself or set up an automation to send them, it doesn’t change the fact that you love her and you want her to know that. I think that’s beautiful.

• AllegedHoister@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

This is sorta fucked up. Is it too much work to set timers for you to send these texts yourself? Otherwise you’re, y’know, not thinking of your wife.

• camr_on@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

You could probably do this with tasker. I would like to say though, this sounds like a horrible idea. If your wife wants words of affirmation, automating that sounds like the exact opposite of what she’s looking for

• n7gifmdn@lemmy.caOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

why? She still receives what she wants, and I can stay focused on my work, sounds like a win-win to me.

• camr_on@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

yeah but it feels pretty callous to just have a machine sending her the words of affirmation and not you. I read your comment above, I have adhd and am easily distracted aswell. My girlfriend had a similar problem with me not being as available/talkative when we’re not in person, and she really appreciated it when I put the effort to text and call her more. My suggestion would be maybe to set a timer to remind yourself to text her instead2 of automating the whole thing. If the other apps on the phone are too distracting, maybe you can limit their screentime or even remove them, just make it harder to get to them somehow.

• n7gifmdn@lemmy.caOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

:-) If I find something that works, I will see what I can do LOL! Broapp seems cool but would bot really work for sending to yourself. (nor do I want my personal phone sending SMS messages to some random Person on the internet)

• people_are_cute@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Yes, there used to be one called BroApp that was made for this exact use case.

It’s not there on the Play Store right now, maybe try apkmirror?

• n7gifmdn@lemmy.caOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I just downloaded it. Clearly its designed for those dating rather than married, as it supports triggers basef on connecting/disconnecting from work wifi, home wifi, and girlfriend’s wifi, and I work from home so those are all the same thing, so I only get the one trigger based on a hard time of day, but I really like the idea, so I will try it put. I also like the girlfriend mode that if you put in the wrong PIN it will show you a page of suggested romantic gifts to buy your loved one.

I will also check out using tskmgr as someone else recommended. I realized that since I usually use Google voice, rather than my mobile number, to text her (so that when i lose my phone I can still do it from the web browser, so she might not appreciate this via traditional SMS, she had had similar complaints when I have tried yo use Scout or Glympse so she could track my location on the way home that it was sent from my mobile rather than Voice number, but we’ll see)