• leafling@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

This was great! I really like the way the whole thing reads, mechanically and in terms of structure. The sentences have a rhythm to them, and there’s a buildup to the reveal of “this is his power, and this is how he uses it to help people” that keeps you reading.

I also like how you created a character who’s mature and experienced with their power, because you’re answering questions like “How would someone grow up if they had this power?” “How would people treat them?” “Can they use it for anything useful?”, and it’s more interesting than just “How would it feel to have this power?”.

My favorite part, though, is how the narrator only gives a superficial description of the woman at first. And, only after experiencing her most painful memory, does he actually give a detailed description—as if he doesn’t really look at people until he’s looked into them. I’m not sure what that says about his character, but I feel like it makes a lot of sense.

• ComicalMayhem@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Man I’m not even gonna lie to you, I didn’t really intend to show anything! I was just writing to write, got inspired by the prompt. I appreciate the kind words though, and I’ll definitely keep your comments in mind.