Meta exist to make a profit, however they’re never going to be able to advertise to most people in the fediverse, who also happen to be some of the most knowledgeable people in some fields. If they accept that they’re never going to be able to advertise to those people, they go for the next best thing: monetising their content. Some here may rightfully have an issue with a corporation monetising their content, however by federating with the fediverse and being the first company able to monetise the content within it, Meta have a vested interest in not extinguishing the fediverse.

Complain about their privacy violations or them monetising content they don’t generate as much as you want, but remember they’re smart & money hungry, and the smartest thing they can do in their position is to make money out of people they otherwise wouldn’t be able to.

• @rm_dash_r_star@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      311 months ago

Haha man, as the wise philosopher Pauly Shore once said, “dude, you’re harshing my mellow.” So yeah we don’t want those guys doing that to us.

• FarLine99
      link
      fedilink
      English
      011 months ago

No, we would not shut up until defederation exist. Because it is crucial for future life of Fediverse.

• Alter_Id
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Is this actually a “Quiet down about being exploited by a known bad actor!” post, or am I missing something?

Also, why should discussion stop concerning a current, ongoing development in a space where how we choose to interact with that development hasn’t yet been set by many on an individual and a community level? Just because you’re tired of seeing it, and some people are arriving at a conclusion that may be different than yours?

I personally haven’t decided where I stand 100%. Nor have I seen this addressed by the person running my instance on what (if anything) they are considering concerning the entry of Meta into this space. Why on earth would it be warranted for discussion to cease and everyone take it as fate that the behemoth be allowed to roll over a reluctant userbase? This is absurd.

• arcturus
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1411 months ago

probably could have said the same about Google and XMMP, but look what happened

corporations exist to make money, and this includes eliminating or incorporating anything that could get in their way or make money

the fact that the Fediverse is starting to get a bit more popular is going to convince them to get in on it (and then eventually try to control as much of the market as possible) or make it irrelevant so the average person is funneled to them again

• Kaldo
      link
      fedilink
      111 months ago

Dunno if this is entering conspiracy theory area but I do think big corps are afraid of FOSS becoming mainstream. A recent article I read about AI said that open sourced models are considered a real future threat to proprietary ones and I keep thinking if the same could be said for social networks and hosting services. After all look at how long piracy had endured and prospered due to efforts of a few, and that’s with all the legal issues too.

• @kukkurovaca@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    111 months ago

FFFF

it’s time to move things forward

Also, this bit in particular is very funny to me:

however they’re never going to be able to advertise to most people in the fediverse, who also happen to be some of the most knowledgeable people in some fields.

• Machefi
    link
    fedilink
    English
    111 months ago

This is actually an interesting argument I haven’t heard before. I guess it’s being downvoted because it’s used as the ultimate argument, which it’s not. I still believe EEE is more than likely.

I don’t agree with you entirely, but you’ve added to the discussion. Upvote from me

• 🇺🇦 Max UL
    link
    fedilink
    English
    111 months ago

What happens with Meta may not be exactly EEE, but that is the best constructive example to help understand the dangers of things that could happen.

Whatever happens with Meta will be new and be its own tale. Hopefully minimally impactful, like you may think, but that’s not for certain.