• Jaysyn@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I know all of us non-fascists want Trump in prison yesterday, but I can appreciate how methodical they are being about this.

No mistakes or emotions means no mistrials & few excuses for appeals.

• Snot Flickerman@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I mean, I get it, but like… so the other side (Trump & co.) is able to make mistakes and be absurdly emotional over petty fucking bullshit, and it’s just sort of accepted and okay for them?

I’m so sick of everything being tilted towards we can never appeal the people who are obviously acting in bad faith and everyone who is operating in good faith has to endlessly cross every T and dot every I while the other side essentially plays the pigeon and knocks all over the chess pieces while shitting all over the table and strutting around like they won.

Like, I get that some people have legitimate grievances for appeals, but I’m so sick of a justice system that hands people with money an effective endless route to act in bad faith to drag out cases and get away with it. Why is there no legal recourse to deny such things to people who are painfully obviously operating in bad faith? Why do we have to keep letting them get away with it to make the case “iron clad.” I don’t fucking get it, it seems like the whole system is set up for people like Trump to actively exploit it.

Why the fuck isn’t there more demand for reform of our criminal justice system? Not just the painfully obvious two-tiered justice system that favors the rich and politically connected, but just this basic idea, that the rich can’t just endlessly look for fucking loopholes to try to drain the other side of money to fight the case. Too much of our system really comes down to who has the most “Fuck You Money” to spend on lawyers for the longest, and I’m sick of acting like that’s fucking okay somehow. It isn’t, period.

This kind of behavior should be grounds for denying future appeals, not handing them out like fucking candy, for fucks sake. He lead a fucking coup, and if our government can’t grow a pair of balls and start treating this accordingly, he’ll end up pardoning himself and then being an insane autocrat who gives out capital punishment to his enemies.

• Spacemanspliff@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I don’t fucking get it, it seems like the whole system is set up for people like Trump to actively exploit it.

Of course the system is set up for the people with money and power to exploit it, who do you think set up the system? It’s always been heavily slanted to provide protection to those who can afford it.

• Nougat@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I’ll be more clear then:

There are certain actions which “goodness” disallows. There are no actions which “evilness” disallows. This will always give the edge to evil, unless the number who support good are overwhelmingly larger. Just a majority will not do.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              8 months ago

And I am reminded, on this holy day, of the sad story of Kitty Genovese. As you all may remember, a long time ago, almost thirty years ago, this poor soul cried out for help time and time again, but no person answered her calls. Though many saw, no one so much as called the police. They all just watched as Kitty was being stabbed to death in broad daylight. They watched as her assailant walked away. Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

It can easily be argued that the constant kid-gloves approach with Trump and other rich and politically-connected defendants falls under “the indifference of good men.”

They understand the laws have been twisted to favor people like Trump, but they keep acting within the confines of the “law” like that makes them “good.” No, at best it makes them “lawful neutral” if we’re talking D&D alignment.

• CarbonIceDragon@pawb.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

To be fair, that Kitty Genovese story quoted there isn’t really accurate as to what actually happened, as there weren’t as many witnesses as popularly understood, they generally did not get a clear picture of what was happening, and several did call the police. Still, I suppose that’s just an example and not really the point at hand.

• null@slrpnk.net
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

Though many saw, no one so much as called the police. They all just watched as Kitty was being stabbed to death in broad daylight. They watched as her assailant walked away.

Sorry, why is that being used as a benchmark for “good men”?

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

If “good” thinks these rules that favor those with the most money, who spent a lot of money on senators and house representatives to make sure those rules favored them, that those rules should be followed with strict intensity, then yeah, good is pretty fucking dumb.

Society: You keep playing by these rules that favor the wealthy. We even have proof the wealthy paid for bills to be passed for the rules to be more favorable to them!

Government: Look, if we don’t follow these rules we’ve set up for ourselves where we’re always outspent by the oligarchs who actually fund us, we stop getting payche---- err, I mean, it all falls apart.

• Makeitstop@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Trump acting in bad faith, saying whatever he wants, and strutting around like he’s above the law are all things that severely undermine his legal defense. He lost the rape civil suit because he so thoroughly demonstrated his shitty character. Incredibly damning evidence is admissible because he’s lost attorney client privilege thanks to Trump and his attorneys engaging criminal and fraudulent activity together. He’s constantly feeding new evidence to the prosecution by making public statements that contradict his previous statements, are incompatible with his defense, or even just admit to facts which support the prosecution’s case.

The prosecution needs an ironclad case because this has to stick. We can’t afford to leave room for appeals, or for a friendly judge to to find an excuse to get him off the hook. We need a case so overwhelming that even a rabid MAGA supporter in the jury will be unable to stomach a not guilty verdict. It sucks, but there’s no getting around it.

• Rivalarrival@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I mean, I get it, but like… so the other side (Trump & co.) is able to make mistakes and be absurdly emotional over petty fucking bullshit, and it’s just sort of accepted and okay for them?

Yes.

Defendants of any sort should be afforded every latitude. Criminal convictions are supposed to be reserved only for those whose guilt is proven beyond the shadow of doubt. Anyone accused of a crime should be free to present any defense they want, while the state should be handcuffed to the constitution and hobbled by the law.

I’m convinced that Trump belongs in prison, but it’s up to the state to prove it.

• BeautifulMind ♾️@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I’m convinced that Trump belongs in prison, but it’s up to the state to prove it.

Given the long record of witness tampering and intimidation and such that’s well-documented and has been for years, my feel is it’s ABOUT FUCKING TIME the state decided to take up the question.

I mean, yes- burden of proof and all, but when the defendant has been bragging he did all of these things in public and on media and in speeches to crowds, it was time to do all of this a long time ago

• ArbitraryValue@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

The asymmetry you’re talking about is the presumption of innocence, and I would prefer not to “reform” that. Trump isn’t guilty of leading a coup until he’s convicted of leading a coup with every t crossed and every i dotted.

• constantokra@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

No, but he’s guilty of acting like a total ass in court, which would get literally anyone else thrown in jail. I don’t want to see him get his consequences without due process, but it’s disgusting that people like him get different treatment.

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

That’s how the law is supposed to operate, it’s actually refreshing to see it done that way, even if it does mean Trump gets 200 second chances.

Anyway it doesn’t matter because we all know that if you give Trump 200 second chances he will do it again for the 201st time. The man is pathological.

• Iwasondigg@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

On a related note, can’t wait to see the SNL skit of Trump spending his first night in jail.

• Smacks@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

If I had a dollar for each time I heard “Trump going to jail!” I’d have more money than he does

• nutsack@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

they don’t seem to understand that it’s impossible to put this person in jail that’s not a thing you can’t do it

• SirStumps@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Usually I would agree, but this time I have to agree. The only thing that will happen is ______.