Let’s be honest, we all try to avoid Brimstone and Blazing enchants. They’re just so straightforward and/or self destructive! But I wanted to give this a go anyway. One of the less discussed aspects of the blazing enchant was the damage boost you get for attacking enflamed enemies. I wanted to see if it stacks when you have a blazing staff of fireblast as a battlemage. Unfortunately I couldn’t find the math behind how this was coded, so no way to verify. But it was pretty powerful - usually a two shot kill when you paralyze with fireblast, then hit with the staff. FB on its own can also one-shot most enemies when upgraded super high. Brimstone is woefully mid. It’s great for this specific run (keeps you safe from all the flames you’re tossing around) but the small shielding when you’re surrounded by fire might as well not even be a feature of the glyph (I was lucky to get 6 shielding at any given moment). It’s definitely a good early game enchant but terrible for endgame. Anyway this run was more fun than I expected. It was a 7 challenge run and I barely made it out in the end.

• 🐑🇸 🇭 🇪 🇪 🇵 🇱 🇪🐑@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

No one really avoids blazing enchants as it is one of the best enchants in the game haha. Even weak weapons become end game powerhouses with blazing.

What I heard people avoid is chilling, because it tends to disrupt any fire based abilities

• MrRedstoner@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Well I guess I’m no one then. As a Huntress main who heavily utilizes grass, I very much avoid blazing, (and unstable because blazing) and love me some chilling

• RBG
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Seconded, I don’t like having to watch out for burning gras down.

• Terminus@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Ehhh, I’ve always avoided fire based attacks because they cause too many issues. They burn up grass, doors, meat, and scrolls (except SOU). Basically the result is you lose most of your ability to surprise attack and hide from ranged enemies, and you lose some useful items. That can be a death sentence in challenge runs.

I managed to make it work (the damage buff is insane) but it was pretty heartbreaking to see a scroll of transmutation go up in flames, for example.

Chilling isn’t all bad. It does disrupt fire (you could also say fire attacks disrupt chilling), but being able to slow enemies is really powerful in its own way (augment for damage, kite enemies, etc.). WOC is definitely weaker than WOF though because you can’t hit multiple targets and you can’t freeze (paralyze) enemies no matter how many upgrades you sink in.