• Fredselfish@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

She only rich because her daddy was in a position of power and money to get her in the spotlight. She shouldn’t be a billionaire and we should be taxing them out of existence. Every billionaire is a policy failure.

• originalucifer@moist.catsweat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

its easy if you tax.

income > 1ml should be 95% tax rate or higher. period.

tax every stock trade. remove religious exemption.

there are ways, but the people in charge are reaping the most benefits from the broken system

• TenderfootGungi@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

That is really close to the tax rate we used to reduce inequality coming out of the Great Depression. In today’s dollars the threshold would lie in a few million, not one. And I believe it was 94% IIRC, but over 90. Of course nobody paid that in practice thanks to deductions, but it worked.

• Behole@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Agreed! Modern dragons on mountains of impossibly spendable gold!

Wouldn’t it be cool if Tay flips the script and really become a “good” rich person! I would love to see that shift and that influence spread. Alas, likey just dreaming but shit, would be cool.

• dust_accelerator
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Well damn.

Being the same age as her, I feel kinda bummed out. If only I’d have been born with the good looks and capability to sing I could be among the worlds top 10 CO² producers.

Oh well.

criticism aside, it’s still impressive

• SheeEttin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

That’s the real key. Look at Rebecca Black. She’s no incredible beauty, and she can’t sing, but having rich parents still got her famous.

• InfiniteWisdom@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Sounds like a lotta cope to me, but don’t worry, I can help you out. I work for a company called Young Beauty™. We are looking for aspiring people who would like to join our commission only sales position selling beauty products. 💰💰

We are like one big family. Beauty products is big business nowadays and and this is your chance to make a 6, potentially 7 figure income! All you have to do is to sell beauty products, and get anyone else you know to help join you. ✨✨ If you are interested kindly send me a DM to discuss further.

• Behole@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

It still blows my mind that 1/6 people on Lemmy took the time to downvote “billionaires bad”! Wtf are these people? Fucking rooting for the mega out of touch oligarchs? Lick the boot you fucks!

• jmcs
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Almost as impressive as her private jet addiction (though good to see that she cut the flying down from worst in the western world to just regular rich sociopath this year).

• RedditWanderer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Not sure if this is sarcastic? It has to be.

FYI Taylor swifts dad purchased an entire record label for her first album or some shit. Not denying her talent or earning, just saying she’s not “self made”.

• Chickenstalker@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I listened to her songs out of curiosity. She’s basically the Gen Z’s Alanis Morissette in terms of lyrics that sounds profound on first hearing but is actually 14 year old’s diary ramblings on further examination. Ironic.

• MagicShel@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Not everyone can be (or wants to hear) Bob Dylan or Paul McCartney or whatever lyricists you fetishize. It’s okay. She can be massively talented (and you have to respect her business acumen if not her songs) and massively popular and still not be for you.