• 30p87@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

It’s much better than going to school every day from 7:45 am to 7 pm and maybe even paying for it. Also school consists of more than half a dozen different subjects, of which you probably don’t even like half (PE, Art, German (native language), Social studies), and others are annoying to be relevant for your grades and therefore your life, such as Biology and Chemistry. Just Maths, Physics, English and History are somewhat good, because they’re easy and enjoyable (controversial take with Maths in there, ik).

• 30p87@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

In germany, though it’s a private school so public school times are probably a bit more relaxed.
        For lower grades it’s from 8:30 am to 4pm fixed, but higher grades have individual timetables per person, with lessons starting from 7:45 am and some ending at 5 pm. Usually there’s time in between, but at some days not, like wednesday. Often, for 10-12/13th grade, there are also PE courses after school for 1 1/2 h or longer to mitigate a missing hour of PE per week. Also, it’s a school with a focus on sports (Basketball) and music, so many students have courses and activities there after 5 am.
        Getting to school is easier for us 18 year olds, with cars and/or motorcycles, but lower grades need to use public transport, so for me it has been a way of over an hour to school, and even longer back if no one was able to pick me up from the train station to the village where I live.

In contrast, a 3 week internship in a bank located in a city over 100 km from where I lived required waking up at 8:50 am for the daily meeting and logging off from the citrix session at 4 pm.

• Iliveonsaturdays@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

But it’s not really comparable though, is it? I also happen to live in Germany. I work 8 hours, have to pay for my own 30 minute lunch break and have about 3 hours of transport a day, 1,5 hours each way, the days I go into the office. That makes a day of 11,5 hours only spend on work, not counting the hour getting ready before I leave, which I don’t really count as free time. There are no other breaks included in the day. I’m not saying that school isn’t hard, but when I went to e.g university I had a heck of a lot more time to explore my own interests than I do now. When I get home I have to make dinner for the family, empty the dishwasher, do the laundry etc. (and I share these talks with my partner) and I maybe have a good two hours of doing nothing before going to bed on weekdays. I would take school, with all the exams and what not, any day.