I’m upgrading because my phone is losing (lost?) support. I use a OnePlus 7 Pro and love it and wouldn’t bother upgrading otherwise. I’d appreciate some recommendations of android phones you like, please.

Thank you in advance! (⁠.⁠ ⁠❛⁠ ⁠ᴗ⁠ ⁠❛⁠.⁠)

• rufus
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Mmh, I also just use my card, I think Google Pay is one of the very few things that don’t work if you installed the Google services.

So. Is Android 14 available in the Beta Channel? I can’t find it. (Pixel 4a, sunfish). 2 weeks ago they said they needed an additional developer for that…

• rufus
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

It says Android 13

Build number TQ3A.230805.001.2023100300

on my phone. I’ve tapped on the Search for updates and it doesn’t show any updates. (Pixel 4a Sunfish) I think the release page also doesn’t show any compatible builds since 20121003.

• FutileRecipe@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

(Pixel 4a Sunfish) I think the release page also doesn’t show any compatible builds since 20121003.

Well, if you read the release page (which you pointed out) it does say:

Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL and Pixel 4a are end-of-life and shouldn’t be used anymore due to lack of most security patches for firmware and drivers. We’re considering porting them to Android 14…

Like I said, Android 14 is out, it’s just not out (and might not ever be out) for an EoL device. The 4a lost Google support 2ish months ago, and GOS even says you shouldn’t use it. Sounds like the perfect time to upgrade to the 8, which has MTE support (which eliminates 70% of CVEs) and has 7 years support. https://endoflife.date/pixel

• rufus
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

Ah, thx. You all got me confused a bit, because someone claimed the 4a had Android 14 available. But I see that was a different comment.

Thanks for the advice. But I’m not upgrading to a Pixel 8. It’s in a whole different price category and my 4a’s hardware is still fine. I’m kinda against wasting my electronics every few years just because we have a fast moving electronics economy. Maybe I can find some other aftermarket Android at some point before they drop support completely on GrapheneOS.

• sir_reginald@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

a second hand 6a cost me around 200 bucks and it will be supported till 2027. the pixel 7a shouldn’t be much more expensive tho.