I’m upgrading because my phone is losing (lost?) support. I use a OnePlus 7 Pro and love it and wouldn’t bother upgrading otherwise. I’d appreciate some recommendations of android phones you like, please.

Thank you in advance! (⁠.⁠ ⁠❛⁠ ⁠ᴗ⁠ ⁠❛⁠.⁠)

• oshitwaddup@lemmy.antemeridiem.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Used pixel, install grapheneos

used because it’s better environmentally than buying new

grapheneos because it’s more secure and private than stock android

• infinitevalence@discuss.online
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I do something the same, I buy last gen or gen before phones used on Swappa and then install Lineage OS so I can have a stable, updated, and efficient phone.

I would say about 9h of screen on time for a Pixel 5 on its original OEM battery is not to bad.

• beaubbe@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I have had a pixel 5 and 6 and both died within 2 years. They would both hard crash and shut off for a bit and eventually stop powering up altogether. I never had that issue with other brands. I ended going back to samsung with an S23 and it works fine for now.

• drcouzelis@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

They have different goals. I use /e/, where the focus is removing all communication with Google while providing an OS that’s as user friendly and ready to use as the competition.

• drcouzelis@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I was just pointing out the differences in goals.

Does Graphene OS come with microg, the open source reimplementation of Google Play Services, installed by default like it is on /e/ OS?

• oshitwaddup@lemmy.antemeridiem.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

no, grapheneos doesn’t come with anything google installed by default. It does have some shimmed play services that you can install if you want though