Jeff Sharlet has spent two decades covering the intersection of extreme Christian nationalism and the far-right. In his new book, Undertow: Scenes from a Slow Civil War, he gives snapshots of a country rapidly devolving into a Christian fascism state. He captures the rage, the despair, the dislocation, the alienation, the aesthetic of violence, and the magical thinking that are the foundations of all fascist movements—forces that are now coalescing around the Trump-led Republican Party. The bizarre conspiracy theories and buffoonish quality of many who lead and embrace this movement, such as Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert, make the use American fascists easy to ridicule and dismiss. But Sharlet implores us to take them seriously as an existential threat to what is left of our anemic democracy. Jeff Sharlet joins The Chris Hedges Report to discuss his new book and the rising tide of Christofascism threatening our democracy.

Video: https://yewtu.be/watch?v=JtrkSeTOv7g

• m_r_butts@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I appreciate that this has been happening for a long time, and it’s really steamrolling now, but the Satanic Temple is still recognized by the IRS and federal court system. We’re not at the endgame yet.

• tacosanonymous@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I think, no. But the ones who want that are really adamant. They’re super pissed at the nominal progress we’ve made and they’re lashing out in their death throes.
    They’ll make life unbearable for a lot of people but then they’ll be gone and we’ll go back to the regular end game capitalism.

• Eldritch@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

They’re no more in their death throes than they were the last time they attempted a fascist coup. Smedly Butler exposed them then. January 6th they were so emboldened the broadcast and did it in the open. Only failing due to incompetence. The next time, and there will be one could be much sooner than you think. And might be successful.

• PeepinGoodArgs@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Yo! That’s really interesting! The idea of fascism as serving emotional needs isn’t something that I’ve thought of before. In contrast, where he says they’re being invited to inhabit a gnostic worldview, that’s how I understand fascism, as a type of rhetorical discourse. But the relationship between their emotional needs and the rhetoric that satisfies those needs…that connection I hadn’t made before.

Also, these people are fucking insane.

• Veraxus@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

That’s kinda the thing about fascism… they don’t need a majority. It’s about seizing control and undermining democracy to do so.

Fascists can take over without ever having anything near a majority… hell, even a plurality.

• P1r4nha@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It’s more than half of Republicans. So they can choose one of the two presidential candidates.

• shalafi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Liberals: “Fascism is HERE!”

Yes it is, no doubt. The Christo-fascists are getting bolder by the minute.

Liberals: “Give up your guns!”

I… don’t think I will.

• unphazed@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I think we need better gun laws, like real background checks, limits per sale (no one buys more than two usually unless they got plans), etc.

• deeply_moving_queef@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Wow, saying nothing of the politics at the time (of which I’m largely ignorant), that turned out to be very prescient indeed.

• dingleberry
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Big pharama wants to take your imaginary friends. Don’t let them.