Hey there! I tried loading up beehaw from my computer, and I am getting hit with a crowd sec ban? I can still access just fine from jerboa and mobile, so I’m not sure what’s going on. Is anyone else getting hit by this? Did my ip get banned for some reason?

• PenguinCoder@beehaw.orgM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Yes, Crowdsec is a protection mechanism in place to try and stop bad actors/bruteforce attacks.

I just cleared everyone on this certain blocklist, which means you should be good for now, again.

Sorry this was happening to you and other users.

• mustyOrange@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Awesome, I appreciate it! Going forward, is there anything I should do to make the chances of that happening less likely?

• PenguinCoder@beehaw.orgM
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

No, this isn’t your or any other users fault. It’s due to the way Lemmy interacts with the backend, and was hitting some rate limit issues which made it look like an ‘attack’. From a LOT of different users. Also known as a distributed denial of service attack. Not your fault!

Thanks again for bringing to our attention, I’ll keep an eye on this one.

• Glod@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Same here. I’m a brand new user as of today and the ban suddenly happened a few minutes after first login on my home network, as I was subscribing to communities that seemed interesting to follow. After having clicked subscribe on like 5-10 communities the clicks on the subscribe link just started timing out, and then I got the crowdsec ban page when I tried to reload the page.

• mustyOrange@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Odd. Are you running any js blockers like uMatrix or anything? That’s the only thing I can think of on my end that tends to cause problems with this sort of thing