• tygerprints@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

That’s very cool. We often had intermissions in longer movies when I was a kid, and funny little intermission animations about all the delicious treats for sale in the lobby. I miss that - it was part of the fun of movies.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Yep, oh BOY am I old! I remember when we didn’t even decorate for halloween and we didn’t put up christmas trees until Dec 21st or so. That’s pretty dang old.

• ImpossibilityBox@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

One of my most delightful discoveries was a YouTube video where someone compiled all the intermission and drive-thru ads and jingles. It was HOURS long.

My old YouTube password got stolen and my account deleted so I ended up losing the video. I tried to find it again but the one that I found with over a million views has stupid zoom in effects that cut off most of what’s being shown and kinda ruins the whole point.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I love those old drive in intermission ads - I actually have a DVD full of them, I sometimes put in on between watching movies. Just to kind of get that old-tyme drive-in movie experience. It sucks that your password got stolen, but Youtube still has plenty of those intermission ads and jingles. I’m glad there are people in the world who enjoy reliving those mid-century experiences!

• LordXenu@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

If you use Plex or Jellyfin as a home media server, it allows movie preview trailers and other preroll media IIRC. You could completely recreate the theater experience. Throw in some old retro Disney or other shorts before a flick.

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

That’s very cool i wasn’t aware of those servers - thanks for the insight!! I do that on my movie viewing nights, I sometimes put short subjects in and then watch the movie, and then play a few old time drive-in ads during intermission. I’m weird - and unfortunatly I don’t have a home theater, but I’d love to so I do what I can to replicate the experience.

• Lesrid@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I’m sure theatres would love to resurrect the intermission. Gives people a real chance to get more snacks.