• Billiam@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

They are also built on blockchain technology, which can include (crypto) financial rails that enable platforms, users and partners to synergistically profit from platform growth.

Man, dude had a good thing going until he said that bullshit.

• Pohl@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I’m reading along… web3?? Who is still using that word? Built on the blockchain?! God damn crypto dweebs tricked me into reading 300 words before the took the mask off.

Cointelegraph.com, should have been able to piece it together. I have only myself to blame.

• vrighter
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

yep. lemmy is not based on blockchain… and it works nonetheless, even if relatively new. it can only get better from here

• insomniac@vlemmy.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

But if we just included the blockchain think of the shareholder value we could be generating. We could be decentralizing the blockchain with crypto NFTs in the cloud or whatever.

• RemembertheApollo@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Despite the protests, Reddit’s Huffman has persisted in arguing that Reddit is “a living organism, this democratic living organism, created by its users.”

No way can a democratic society last under a corporatocracy which, by default, is essentially a dictatorship. And corporatocracy is exactly what Huffman is pushing.

Y’know, it’s highly hypocritical that the article mentions the reason for the API shutoff is to force users to pay for the content while redditcorp doesn’t pay for the content users generate that reddit wants those same users to pay to access.

• Deathsauce@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

A ‘democratic organism’ where puppet mods are installed because the ‘democratically’ supported ones won’t toll the company line. Uh-huh. Sure, Steve.

• mvic@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

What do you mean? it could easily be called the Democratic website of the users of reddit

• einsteinx2@programming.dev
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Lol I love how they completely ignore the real Reddit placements like Lemmy and Kbin in favor of “web3” crypto bullshit 🙄

Yeah you don’t need blockchain to have an open, collaborative, community driven social media platform. In fact every blockchain + something project I’ve very seen would work just as well or better if you removed the blockchain part haha.

• EnglishMobster@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

They had me until they started pushing their Web3 bullshit. Crypto bros co-opted the term and kept it away from “real” Web 3.0 tech like the fediverse.

• cooljacob204@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

My eyes always nearly roll out of my head when I see a crypto bro use the term.

Like fuck off who are you all to decide the slimy crypto scene gets to be the next generation of web.

• ANewUser@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Oh, I remember when u/Spez was just a three-year-old little man. He came running up to me with a big smile and his little Reddit hat on, and he said, “Poppa, poppa!” I said “What do you need, u/Spez, my boy?”, and he said, “…I need about tree-fitty.” Well, it was about that time I got suspicious. I said, “u/Spez, why do you need tree-fitty?” He said, “My imaginary friend Goo-Goo the investor wants it.” I went to my son’s room, and sure enough, there was the Loch Ness API monster!

• Sjatar@sjatar.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Well it’s more of a “reddit does not realise their mistake” kind of “high price” ^^ Hard to estimate the cost or even estimate if it was a mistake this early in. Though I’d say it def will be.

• Tygr@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

My first topic downvote since switching. Let’s not turn the fediverse into a new place to promote crypto scams.

• Einar@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Social media platforms should be built to serve their communities, not just to produce profits for investors and executives. And however successful they may become, they should never turn their backs on the committed and enthusiastic developers that helped them at the start.

This is painful to read. Calling out the betrayal.