I’m Canadian. And I’m already sorry for asking an ignorant question.

I know you have to pay for hospital visits in the states. I know lower economic status can come with lower access to birth control and sex education. But then, how do they afford to give birth? Do people ever avoid hospital visits because they don’t feel like they can’t afford it?

Do hospitals put people on a payment plan? Is it possible to give birth and not pay if you don’t have the means? How does it work in the states?

How does it all work?

Again. Canadian. And sorry.

• IntrepidIceIgloo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

If you are poor enough you can qualify for Medicaid (MediCal in California) which is a sort of limited health insurance. This is life saving for poorer families and most of the time completely covers birth costs. After birth in some states they even offer follow up plans from nurses for assistance with food and meal plans for babies and toddlers.

Even if you don’t qualify you can apply for financial aid which I believe is required to be offered in every public hospital even to people whether citizens or not. If not you can just take on the debt and not pay, which destroys your credit score but after long enough you might be offered a favorable financing or a discount… Only after being harassed by collections for months if not years.

Source: not American but I’ve worked with American healthcare workers interpreting for Spanish.

• aidan@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Also to clarify saying if you’re poor enough makes it seem like it’s a high bar, but iirc ~35% of people are on Medicare/Medicaid

• SokathHisEyesOpen@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I just explained this before seeing your post. There’s a lot of America bashing in this thread with completely inaccurate information. I was relatively poor when my son was born and we were on public insurance. Everything was paid for. It was actually a pretty good overall experience. Now that I’m making a lot more money I don’t complain at all about taxes, since I know that at least some of it goes towards invaluable services like this.