• roux is a lib@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I build custom mechanical keyboards. Got into it because of the Pandemic and now I have built 6 of them. /r/mk and /r/emk used to be some of my most visited subs on the other site. I’m now known as the goto for keyboard questions in my circles of friends.

I started getting into fidgeting more lately and took a liking to magnetic sliders and now have a few that I pretty much always have with me.

And that extended into me learning about begleri beads somehow so now I am attempting to learn that. I can do slips and 2 finger wraps and occasiaonal one finger or thumb wraps but not much else yet. I accidentally learned a stall because I messed up. I need to really learn transfers since that is one of the main things you do a lot of.

I think I am also amongst the hyperfixator group in this thread. I was previously into speedsolving Rubik’s cubes and roasting coffee so I feel a lot of these answers lol.

• hbocao@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

How do you build a custom keyboard? Do they sell every single part in different shapes? (I mean the “chassis”, not the key caps). How custom can they be?

• suborbital@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Beware brave traveler, you are asking questions that may result in a journey you did not wish to embark.

• hbocao@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

lol

I don’t think I have the patience nor the money and time, but it does sound fun.

• roux is a lib@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

This is so true. I spent hundreds on this lol. I am currently typing this on a Ferris Sweep with custom dyed keycaps and I ordered my PCBs special just so I could have them in purple to match my micro-controllers.

• roux is a lib@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

To add to what @denton@lemm.ee said, you can also buy kits from sites like Keebio and Novelkeys. There is a Etsy store call BeeKeebs I will always suggest because Leo is a really cool dude and offers a lot of kits for stuff that you’d otherwise have to part yourself.

I print my own PCBs and aim for boards that don’t require diodes. I have most of my boards with Choc Sunsets which are aftermarket custom low profile switches form loweprokb.ca. All my boards run on a fork of QMK called Vial and the hobby gets weird from there. If you are on discord there is a meckkeys server that has a ton of info.

For how custom they can be: Look up Ben Vallack’s Piano2. It’s an 18 key board that he uses for everyday use including writing code. QMK and it’s forks are extremely powerful pieces of software that still blows my mind and I’ve been using it for 3 years.

• hbocao@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Holy Molly.

That’s a lot of possibilities.

I found some really good looking custom keyboards.

• roux is a lib@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Another sites I forgot to mention since I was half asleep when wrote that was kbfans. I have seen people that get into the hobby to the point of building their own get kits from them or Novelkeys. Both offer hotswap PCBs which means you don’t need to solder the switches and can change them if you want. They offer 60% and TenKeyless which is probably where most people aim for so I think it’s a good place to start.

Also if you want keycaps, Amazon, Ali and Banggood sell knockoff copycaps(lol) of a lot of designs for a lot cheaper. Look for “double shot” or “dye-subbed”. Those are gonna last and you won’t get fading legends like on cheap boards.

And don’t get too overwhelmed with switch choice paralysis. If you break it down to linear, tactile, and clicky for feel and then light, medium, and heavy spring weight, it gets a bit easier to navigate to what you might want. Tactile will have a light bump or a heavy bump(popular in the last few years) but other than that, they offer testers and samples.

• denton@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

They can be as custom as you want! I’ve made a few by coming up with a layout I want, making the 3D model for the case, 3D printing it out and handwiring it up myself, then doing the firmware for it.

You can make something that once only existed in your head into something you use every single day!

• hbocao@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Ok, I just watched a video of Ben Vellack’s Piano that @roux recommended. Damn!

• hbocao@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Oh, right! I forgot about 3D printing.

Sorry if I sound stupid but still, what about the actual board (pcb?)? I mean, yeah, I guess you can get them in custom shapes as well, but sounds too advanced.

Another thing I’m failing to understand the possibilities of is about the firmware. What can different?

• denton@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

You can either design your own PCB or handwire. I handwire because it’s cheaper, and I don’t have to order min 5 pieces and have extra lying around after.

Look up QMK, you can do a million different things with the firmware.

• aesopjah@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Found any good lemmy communities similar to the old /r’s? Used to love g what people came up with, especially with the trackball integrations and all that jazz

• BottleOfAlkahest@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Always though begleri beads looked fun but I never picked them up because I didn’t think I’d be able to do it at my desk. It’d look to much like I wasn’t working.

• roux is a lib@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I have the luxury of working from home so fidgeting isn’t an issue. I tend to not play with them when working as much since I end up spending most of my time picking them up off the floor. Also when you are on a phone call and hit your knuckles and blurt out an “ouch” it makes it a bit awkward lol.