• SteveTech@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

The title’s kinda clickbait, they’re removing the ‘Full’ option and adding a choose your own apps dialogue to the ‘Minimal’ (and now only) option, and installs the selected apps over the internet. This reduces ISO size since the apps aren’t installed by default.

Which is an action I can agree with.

• wmassingham@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s not clickbait, it’s just intentionally misleading at best, and factually wrong at worst. It’s not ditching the minimal option, it’s making it the default.

• HawkXero@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Clickbait title… But

I think this is a good idea; giving folks, by default, more control over what is going onto to their systems. Reduces the bloat and the ISO size is definitely useful in certain situations. Power of choice to the users!

• PerogiBoi@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Pls no I just did a minimal Ubuntu install on my MS Surface and I guarantee I’m going to need to reinstall it at least 2 more times as I bork the entire OS trying to customize GNOME.

• PerogiBoi@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

I think the fact that you’re so bothered by me using default GNOME but wanting to pick my own apps is reason enough to keep it. Cry more about my personal decisions 😄

• sarsaparilyptus@lemmy.fmhy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              1 year ago

I’m bothered by the fact that you made a statement that’s not internally consistent and contradicts itself. Like whatever you like, but if you’re going to cite a reason, be accurate. Don’t be so dense.

• SafetyGoggles@feddit.de
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                1 year ago

How is “GNOME is bloat” an objective fact? Maybe to you GNOME is bloat because you don’t use it. But they use GNOME, so it’s not bloat to them.

Conversely, if they don’t use XFCE, then having XFCE installed by default is a bloat to them.

Don’t be so dense.

• PerogiBoi@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

It’s clear you don’t hang around many people if you expect everyone to make zero mistakes.

• cowmouse@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

GNOME isn’t inherently bloated, though; the GNOME circle apps may ne bloat if you don’t need them. Liberals? Where!?

• GustavoM@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

As much as I like/enjoy to circlejerk about Ubloatu… they are giving more options for customization. Which is way better than (just) giving it a “minimal” option.

• Pekka@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Such a misleading title… if they actually do this you will still be able to install the minimum version of Ubuntu, you just get the option to pick additional software that automatically gets installed as snap packages.

I really don’t see the issue. If you don’t want any additional application or if you don’t want snap packages don’t pick anything. It really is their choice to support Snap packages, and snap and flatpack packages are just a lot easier to support for distro maintainers.

• Brownian Motion@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Until we see what this actually means, it’s just speculation.

But I will say this, I dropped Ubuntu when they forced snaps on me, I only needed super slim server installs that I could make into what I needed. As a result this actually doesn’t mean much to me, other than its clear that Ubuntu has been making bad decisions in the last few years.

However, If I couldn’t install a minimal desktop with no apps like libreoffice, firefox and a bunch of stupid games, I would be pissed right off.