• OverfedRaccoon 🦝@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Unless something happens, I’m sticking with Lemmy. As for interface and everything, I liked kbin more initially, but I feel like Lemmy development is moving much faster, plus all the third-party development at the moment. As I’ve said in the past, I’m going where the people are. And right now, that’s mostly Lemmy - and since it can federate with kbin, picking between the two is kind of a moot point …at least for now.

• Stelus42@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Since you have more experience with it, could you elaborate on what the real difference between kbin and lemmy is in your opinion? I keep hearing that kbin can interact with Lemmy and Mastadon, so it sounds like its just “better”, but I feel like thats gotta be a very oversimplified understanding.

• OverfedRaccoon 🦝@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Mastodon can interact with Lemmy as well as far as posting and commenting. On a basic level, kbin offers microblogging (your Mastodon-style posting) and a more sleek interface. The visual polish is a little better on kbin, in my opinion. Right now, I’d say the biggest thing is that kbin development is slower, so new feature rollouts are slower than Lemmy at the moment as Ernest works to make sure everything is stable as kbin grows. The API might be available now for third-party development of apps, but for a few weeks there, it wasn’t, whereas that started almost immediately on Lemmy with API availability. But with Artemis for kbin in beta, it sounds like that might have changed. Otherwise, though different, Lemmy and kbin are both based on ActivityPub, hence why you can interact interchangeably with communities, users, voting, and so on. And maybe worth mentioning, kbin allowed community creation earlier than a lot of Lemmy instances, though that did change quickly.

I think it just depends on what you’re looking for - a polished experience with interesting features (kbin) or more cutting-edge feature rollouts and updates more frequently (Lemmy). Of course, I don’t know what the future holds for either platform, so that might change if Ernest gets more of a team on board.

• Ado@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Basically same experience. Kbin seems interesting, and I’m in the Artemis beta which helps with browsing there. But Lemmy is just advancing at a way faster pace.