• omgnvq@feddit.nl
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think the answers you will get from users who are on lemmy will tend to be positive 😁

• rtxn@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Our voluntary survey shows that 95% of people who participated in it don’t mind participating in surveys.

• JoumanaKayrouz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s kind of a dumb question. Everyone who doesn’t like it just leaves immediately. That’s like going to a Detroit Red WIngs game and asking the crowd who their favorite hockey team in the state is.

• CheshireSnake@iusearchlinux.fyi
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

“Dumb” is too strong a word for the way the questions were worded. I know some users here are on Tildes as well, or Squabble (idk if that’s how you spell it). Doesn’t mean lemmy is THE alternative - just one of many minor ones. Also, being on lemmy doesn’t mean you’re not thinking of moving away specially with Meta’s arrival.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Ok, I guess I could see that. I’ve just not felt the need to use other link aggregators, but Mastodon and Pixelfed have been a cool experience for me so far.

• Schmedes@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I’m looking for Reddit alternatives and so far Lemmy does a fairly decent job.

I’m hoping to recapture the old Reddit feel where there was enough content but not so many users where everything just turned into drama or a flame war in the comment section. So far Lemmy seems fairly slow with content but that’s probably a good thing for me, I shouldn’t be using this stuff to fill my time as much.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

The changes in the sorting method has helped, but I agree. I am not sure if it’s a sorting issue or content issue. However, I have blocked like 6 meme shitposting comms, because it was annoying as shit.

• Schmedes@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

I’m still getting a feel for how all of this works together, so I haven’t bothered blocking any communities yet. Were you just seeing those while browsing Local/All? I tend to stick to Subscribed unless I’m going adventuring for new stuff.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                1 year ago

I have blocked like 6 meme shitposting comms, because it was annoying as shit

I feel your pain. lmao. I haven’t blocked any, though. But during the beans shitposting period I almost blocked a few.

• Juan@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I guess yes, it can be kind of biased indeed ^^ but interesting to hear your opinions anyway

• Slayer 🦊@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yah unfortunately it feels like its even more of one than reddit is/was

But I still plan on sticking it out here since reddit was kinda an addiction of mine that I’m glad to have broken

• Caminsky@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think it’s an excellent reddit replacement and it gets better every time i check. More and more people posting. I am also using Mastodon. I am all for the fediverse tbh. I don’t want my data to be collected by one large corporation anymore.

• kratoz29@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I won’t let something as important as my favorite communities to fall in corporate greed.

• DrMango@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I don’t know where else to go.

The best thing about reddit for me was an endless stream of information and news propped up by user discussion. I rarely just scrolled endlessly through posts; I loved delving into comments on posts which didn’t even interest me at face value to see what I could learn from niche communities.

It was, hands down, the best, most information dense landscape I’ve ever seen and frankly I feel a little lost without it. I hope that some day, some where I can find something similar.

• OverfedRaccoon 🦝@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Unless something happens, I’m sticking with Lemmy. As for interface and everything, I liked kbin more initially, but I feel like Lemmy development is moving much faster, plus all the third-party development at the moment. As I’ve said in the past, I’m going where the people are. And right now, that’s mostly Lemmy - and since it can federate with kbin, picking between the two is kind of a moot point …at least for now.

• Stelus42@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Since you have more experience with it, could you elaborate on what the real difference between kbin and lemmy is in your opinion? I keep hearing that kbin can interact with Lemmy and Mastadon, so it sounds like its just “better”, but I feel like thats gotta be a very oversimplified understanding.

• OverfedRaccoon 🦝@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Mastodon can interact with Lemmy as well as far as posting and commenting. On a basic level, kbin offers microblogging (your Mastodon-style posting) and a more sleek interface. The visual polish is a little better on kbin, in my opinion. Right now, I’d say the biggest thing is that kbin development is slower, so new feature rollouts are slower than Lemmy at the moment as Ernest works to make sure everything is stable as kbin grows. The API might be available now for third-party development of apps, but for a few weeks there, it wasn’t, whereas that started almost immediately on Lemmy with API availability. But with Artemis for kbin in beta, it sounds like that might have changed. Otherwise, though different, Lemmy and kbin are both based on ActivityPub, hence why you can interact interchangeably with communities, users, voting, and so on. And maybe worth mentioning, kbin allowed community creation earlier than a lot of Lemmy instances, though that did change quickly.

I think it just depends on what you’re looking for - a polished experience with interesting features (kbin) or more cutting-edge feature rollouts and updates more frequently (Lemmy). Of course, I don’t know what the future holds for either platform, so that might change if Ernest gets more of a team on board.

• Ado@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Basically same experience. Kbin seems interesting, and I’m in the Artemis beta which helps with browsing there. But Lemmy is just advancing at a way faster pace.

• U de Recife
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Well, true. I may have gotten here though Reddit. But now I’m taken aback by what’s happening here.

I mean, the whole thing is open, FOSS developed, decentralized, being everywhere and at the same time nowhere? Call me crazy, but this in itself is awesome!

On top of that, I was greeted here by a community of communities where people are kind, helpful, full of beautiful and interesting insights.

So why would I be thinking of going somewhere else? I’ve posted more comments here in the past weeks than in the last ten years on Reddit. And I’ve done that because I’m genuinely excited with this setting.

So no, I’m not joining the herd moving to greener pastures. This field is green enough for me.

• oscar_falke@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Memmy only exists for ios right? I have android and i use jerboa. It’s great, but sometimes a bit buggy

• xbhaktapur@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

There’s a bunch of Lemmy apps for android kike Liftoff, Connect, Summit, Lemming, Thunder, and Jerboa itself. Sync for Lemmy and Boost for Lemmy are on their way too.

• tylenol3@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I don’t know if it would be as appealing coming from Android, but I’m an Apollo refugee and I’m enjoying wefwef because it indulges my muscle memory. It’s a progressive web app you can try out without needing to install anything.

• bravosimona@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It has the potential, sure. But you can’t really compare an app that got years of development to one that was developed in such a short time as Memmy.

• anthonium@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This is my permanent go to. Community already seems great and I hope it gains more traction. The main difference with the change from Reddit is I’ve gone from lurker to trying to be more engaged and posting.

• Sniatch@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

So far it replaced my casual Reddit browsing when I’m bored. But when I want to look at some specific stuff I still need to go to reddit but it’s just to get some information and not really to engage with the community.

• XiELEd@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s no longer just a Reddit alternative for me. Lemmy is Lemmy, and I like it. I’m still waiting for the 3rd party apps of Kbin though.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I really like it. The community is also really cool. More like a small town feel than a huge city like reddit. I hope I don’t have to move anytime soon.

• TechyDad@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Between this and Mastodon - which feels like the best parts of early Twitter (way before Musk ever was in the picture) - I feel like I’ve turned back the clock about 15-20 years in the best way possible.

Now if only this made me 15-20 years younger…

• flashmedallion@lemmy.nz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It feels like reddit from ten years ago, and has the critical mass to make it interesting to open and browse. I think it’s a success.

I only use reddit now on revanced rif to visit a couple of communities that are too small to be worth replicating here yet

• G0nzo@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

So far I like it and therefore do not look around for alternatives.

I only hope that it will not remain with the first wave of Reddit migrants but will continue in the coming months and years. Currently, it is still very quiet for my taste, but this is also completely normal.

The only thing that worries me a little is the distribution of the communities.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to have the same community (Like a Subreddit) on different servers. This provides for an unnecessary segmentation of the already not large userbase.

So instead of having one big community for a Topic we have many small ones. This is especially a problem at the beginning, when the userbase is still small.

I’m curious to see how this develops over time. Whether the popular communities will agree on one main instance, or whether apps will reduce the problem to the extent that communities with the same names are combined. It will be exciting to see in any case.

• Fester@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Up until just 2 days ago, searching Lemmy on the iOS App Store returned no results. Now there’s Memmy and more apps on the way. That will make a huge difference for casual users who hear about Lemmy but wouldn’t bother trying to figure it out before jumping in. I can’t predict what will cause more waves, but a steady stream of new users seems likely.

People have been really vocal about their desire to group communities. Whether that happens on the communities’ end or on the user’s end via apps (like Multi-Reddits), or both, I’m confident it’ll happen eventually. I feel like either of those are a better solution than encouraging communities to consolidate, personally. Embrace the beauty and quirks of decentralization.

It’s exciting to see all the growth and improvements happening so quickly. The sky’s the limit for Lemmy.

• Frost Wolf@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

My goodness you are so right, upon seeing your comment, I checked and there it is. Installed it in an instant. Why wasn’t this announced is beyond me. But I’m glad there’s finally an app for iOS

• russianagent@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

It was announced on a number of spots. I’m surprised you didn’t see it! It’s a great app and works wonders. Feels like Apollo

• Frost Wolf@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I didn’t know too. Admittedly I didn’t go online much yesterday. What communities was it announced on? It had a traverse tab, too, which lists other lemmy instances. Ahh, I’m so hyped right now :)

• kobra@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I am honestly not sure why it seems to bug people so much to have multiple communities, but I’ve seen this brought up a bunch.

It existed on Reddit too, they just weren’t the exact names so it wasn’t as obvious.

If there are two communities for the topic you’re interested in, join them both! There’s no reason not to.

• G0nzo@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I think you have to look at it from the point of view of people who are less technically skilled. The hurdle of Lemmy versus Reddit is greater anyway because the structure is more unfamiliar and complex.

And as a “new” platform you also have a chicken-and-egg situation that you have to overcome.

Imagine you don’t know Reddit and someone sends you a link to a subreddit for a topic that interests you. You see many members and a lively exchange. This makes it interesting and you subscribe/follow it and in the best case participate.

Now imagine someone sends you a link to a Lemmy community for a topic that interests you. Since the userbase is already much smaller, there will be much less going on there. If you now also splitting things up, it will look even less alive than its really is. And that makes it less attractive for most people and they leave.

If you had one big community instead of many smaller ones for a topic, the chance of faster growth would be higher.

As I said, always from the perspective of someone who is not clear about the concept and may not see that there is actually a much larger number of users for the topic.

I can understand why you like the concept, I’m not saying it’s bad in principle. But in my option the most important thing for Lemmy is to quickly become attractive for a large number of people.

And since most users would rather join an already alive platform than build something from scratch, the last thing you want is to make things look smaller/less alive than they are.

• Juan@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Interesting indeed. I already saw some of this coming up over android@lemmy.world which has been locked in order to send their userbase to another instance. So yeah, interesting indeed.

edit: grammar

• Juan@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Sorry, haven’t found an easy way of linking to communities like the old r/reddit. I have fixed the link by linking it physically via markdown.

• Juan@lemmy.worldOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Not sure what you mean by that, but yes markdown works just the same here than how it did in reddit.

• Juan@lemmy.worldOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

I think I have since found the way, at least on the lemmy.world website.

You need to type ‘!’, then it will prompt you with a nice search of all the communities on the Fediverse and when you choose it, it will automatically create a markdown link with the community.

• hmancuso@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I also miss the change to list all post under a community (e.g. “technology”) regardless of where it is. I have multiple accounts, which works as a safety insurance against slow severs. However, I find it a pain being unable to group similar communities under the same umbrella. Hope such functionality is implemented at some point.

• Macaroni_ninja@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Its just a matter of time for the apps to start having a feature to link together communities with the same name for easy subscribe/block.

• frogfruit@discuss.online
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

There was a dev who said they were working on this but the app was still in early acces. I think the app was Nemmy

• xkforce@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Only if this place moves on from complaining about reddit and posts content. No one finds the “my ex was crazy” phase endearing.