Now that Bandcamp has had huge layoffs, what about an opensource, Fediverse-friendly replacement? What can a FOSS product bring to the community and do better than Bandcamp?

• Discoverability?
  • Broader selection of payments platforms? Direct transfer to avoid processors? (I’m ignorant about the processing system, plus international considerations)
  • Ease of spinning up (SaaS?)
  • Content deliverability (on the fly transcode from sourced FLAC or WAVs? Rich video/multi track audio?)
  • iopq@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

The payment processors take a big fee, like 3% + $0.30

You can’t just sell one song for a penny.

• ttmrichter@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

The best part of Ethereum:

When a transaction has failed due to an “Out of Gas” error, this means the gas limit set for a transaction is below the required gas needed to execute it. The transaction value does not leave your address but gas fee is deducted because of the computational cost incurred.

You pay the gas fee whether your transaction goes through or not. What. A. Fucking. Scam.

• iopq@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

If you think that’s too much, use a different crypto. I’ve exchanged some crypto with a friend for local currency and it cost me less than a penny to make a transaction.

• ttmrichter@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Typical crytobro bullshit. Moving goalposts.

YOU touted Ethereum. Then you talked about “one cent songs”.

Be at least a little consistent in pushing your scam? I mean this constant whirling around is just making you dizzy and making your scam ever so obvious to onlookers.

• iopq@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

It depends on what crypto you use, they all have upsides and downsides. Bitcoin cash has incredibly long confirmation times like Bitcoin, you can only sell cheap stuff with no confirmation because it’s not safe (you can double spend if you’re a miner)

I exchanged Bitcoin cash with extremely low fees for moving it. But I don’t know if it actually has a future, most people are not really bullish on it. Cryptos have to be used as a form of exchange to have value on the market. I thought Nano with no fees had a future, but that’s a feature most people didn’t care about

But you don’t have to choose, offer bch, monero, Bitcoin lightning, etc. and let the user decide what crypto they want to pay with

• ttmrichter@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Yes. Brilliant plan! Take the creatives’ time spent on making art and have them decode every single fucking crypto scam’s procedures, security models, etc.! That way they’ll be so distracted by the bullshit choices placed before them they won’t realize that a) none of them are good choices, and b) they’ve not actually created anything since they started dealing with all that horseshit.

Nostr is thataway, Sparky. Go talk to your fellow cryptobros.