Now that Bandcamp has had huge layoffs, what about an opensource, Fediverse-friendly replacement? What can a FOSS product bring to the community and do better than Bandcamp?

• Discoverability?
  • Broader selection of payments platforms? Direct transfer to avoid processors? (I’m ignorant about the processing system, plus international considerations)
  • Ease of spinning up (SaaS?)
  • Content deliverability (on the fly transcode from sourced FLAC or WAVs? Rich video/multi track audio?)
  • sj_zero@lotide.fbxl.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

One thing that most reddit alumni won’t care about, but one of the nicest things about doing it decentralized is censorship resistance.

Bandcamp at some point decided that the political views of the artists on their platform are a reason to get rid of some artists.

You might not see a problem since you agree with bandcamp’s politics, but companies change their politics on a dime when it becomes useful to do so.

One problem with open source commercial sites is you’re typically going to need business partners to handle credit card transactions.

• rigatti@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Dim Tool makes music? That’s hilarious. Anyway I don’t have a problem with platforms removing COVID misinformation.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Does saying a false thing about COVID mean that everything you’ve ever said can now be banned everywhere forever?

Since not every one of the guys songs were about COVID, but they were all taken down.

Does this apply to disinformation like “If you get the vaccine you won’t get COVID”? How about “If you get the vaccine you won’t spread COVID to others”?

• rigatti@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

Who was going around saying those two things specifically? That sounds like either a strawman or someone misunderstanding how vaccines work, rather than deliberately spreading bad information a la Tim Pool. All respected medical professionals were saying, repeatedly, that you can still get and spread COVID after getting the vaccine, but your chances for both are lower. Also you’re likely to have a milder case after getting the vaccine, if you do end up getting COVID.

This whole things sounds like you’re wrapped up in conservative talking points.

• rigatti@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  8 months ago

Yo I’m not going to defend something dumb that Biden said, but he’s not a medical professional – he was trying to sell people on vaccines. You can find me the clip of Fauci saying that if you want. Fauci also had really poor messaging about masks at the beginning of the pandemic, so I don’t fully doubt that he said something stupid about vaccines.

• Stantana@lemmy.sambands.net
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    8 months ago

No I told you I won’t bother, I gave you what you asked for and it was not good enough.

It’s your knowledge and your health. Do you think you would benefit from doing your own research?

Meh, what does it matter at this point? I hope you’re staying up to date with your vaccines friend.

• mulcahey@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Not sure why you’re getting downvoted, because you’re making a ton of sense. It’s not about Tim Pool, who is a dumb incel POS. It’s about the HUGE dangers of giving a company unilateral power to ban someone based solely on speech.

What if Bandcamp’s new owners are more like Facebook? They could ban work that promotes women’s rights and abortion access, which is exactly what Facebook has done.

What if Bandcamp’s new owners (or the owners after them) are more like Twitter? They could ban antifascist activists or journalists.

It truly doesn’t matter how you feel about one person. It matters how you feel about principles.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

At the end of the day, what you’re talking about is exactly right.

It feels like a win if people you don’t like get silenced, but it’s a two sided sword that rarely ends up back in the scabbard without tasting friendly blood – as you’ve shown.