Welcome to the RD thread!

This is a place for casual random chat and discussion.

A reminder for everyone to always follow the community rules and observe the Code of Conduct.

Mobile apps:

Quick tips:

Footnotes:

• Daily pixel art by Paul Sabado
  • Report inappropriate comments and violators
  • Message the moderation team for any issues
  • the_yaya@lemmy.worldOPM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Happy weekend!

Today’s Ask PHlemmy: If ₱ wasn’t an issue what hobby would you get into?

• Periwinkledot@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Travel and live in comfort in different places abroad. Yung tipong just to experience the culture tapos lipat ulit.

• s08nlql9@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

mala-Tom cruise. Flying an airplane or helicopter, going to dubai skyscrapper, etc.

• aqua_synonym@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Solo camping! I was always fascinated by survivalist lifestyles and with my recent watching of Yuru Camp (btw, definitely an anime I can recommend if you like slice of life), well my interest in it was bolstered. Wala din kasing medyo magandang camping spots dito. Yung camping spots mostly are for hikers, which technically is in the same vein but I don’t like walking up gravity that much.

• theJWPHTER88@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Reading siguro, yaong mayroon kang latest edition ng World Book encyclopedia, ta’s isa pang shelf na puno ng mga fave mong aklat at graphic novel.

• megane-kun@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Traveling, camping, mountaineering. I’m sure it can be done on a budget, pero parang ang haggard kasi na aakyat ka ng bundok ng overnight ng Sabado at Linggo, tapos makakauwi ka ng Linggo ng gabi, then sabak na naman sa trabaho ng Lunes. If it were up to me, either I’d quit my job entirely (to find the time to devote to that hobby), or get a different one that’s less demanding of my time even though it pays a lot less.

I also want to have time to actually enjoy what I am doing rather than just zooming from one destination to another.

• a_tree_with_5_branch@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

may foreigner na gumawa nito… got a stable job then decided to travel the world…

if i remember correctly, dude was happy… though nung matatapos na siya, he did comment like you will come to a point na parang normal na lang lahat… ohh a mountain, ohh another mountain… like that waterfall… ohh another waterfall…

but i guess he was happy in the en… forgot his name… nasa YouTube…

• megane-kun@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

he did comment like you will come to a point na parang normal na lang lahat… ohh a mountain, ohh another mountain… like that waterfall… ohh another waterfall…

That’s scary. I am guessing he’s being overstimulated near the end, that experiences that are meant to be out of the ordinary seems ordinary to him at that point.

Which is one of the reasons I want to take things a lot slower if I ever have a chance of doing so. Hindi yung mag-lalagay lang ng gamit sa hotel, tapos diretso rampa na sa bundok/beach/whatever. Perhaps take a day or two to rest, explore the area around the hotel/hostel/lodging–see what the locals are up to, then uunti-untiin yung sights, etc. IDK if the Youtuber guy you are talking about did something similar though.

• megane-kun@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Yeah, though I guess it also depends a lot on one’s own pace. Someone really sluggish (like me) could probably take one week exploring a handful of destinations, one or two a day, interspersed with rest days.

• aaaakolokolokolok@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Building a time machine, or a transportation that we can take ourselves to another universe and communicate to our past selves.

• ExploringLiterature@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Thank you to u/theyawner for a good read on the urban heat island effect. Sadly, and ironically I might add, that the more we use technology to cool us down, the more we make everyone hotter.

Sana we find a sustainable way to cool ourselves, apart from battling global warming.

Wonder how it’s like to stay in space?

• clock_age@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Thoughts after CH.123 of the Oshi no Ko manga:

spoiler

So many people hating on the potential incest route based on the latest chapter. Why can’t you just be happy that for once a decently popular series might explore a serious incest story? It’s just fiction man and I’m tired of fictional stories ONLY using incest as some comedic trope.

• aqua_synonym@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Actually, knowing Aka Akasaka, he probably is just stirring the audience. But knowing the manga (which is famous for being no-holds-barred on controversial stuff), I also think he’s serious. Honestly I’m kinda puzzled.

spoiler

Nonetheless, I like the Oshi No Ko manga very much that the incest route is the least of my worries (honestly, I’m more worried because Akane, Kana, and Mem haven’t appeared in quite some time). I’m worried na nasaksak na sila ni Hikaru Kamiki

• decadentrebel@lemmy.worldM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Probably on a next update, at the very least a statement. Lots of community demand for it that I doubt the admins will just ignore.

Edit: They did say this several days ago before Threads even launched.

“Watching Like A hawk, with our fingers on the block button.” We will NOT be pre-emptively taking a “Fediblock as a Frist Strike” position.”

• megane-kun@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

That’s a lot better than Mastodon.social’s admin’s stance, which is “This is a clear victory for our cause, hopefully one of many to come.”

I think, and I am really hoping that I’m wrong, that it’s not only myopic, but also would cost a lot of pain later on, when the snake that is Threads strangle Mastodon and swallow it whole.

Good thing someone shared a method of blocking domains, which can hopefully means that individually, users can block Threads if their instance owners don’t.

• megane-kun@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Same owner ang sa Lemmy.world and Mastodon.world.

Yung owner naman ng Mastodon.social is the dev of Mastodon—and this is really concerning given his stance on the matter (the link in my previous reply) and that Mastodon instance admins signed an NDA with Meta. We can’t know for sure who sold their souls to Meta, which is probably part of Meta’s strat here–increase agitation among Mastodon users as well as sow distrust.

Am I falling for it?‌ Likely. Am I spreading FUD here? I suppose it can be argued that way. However, I think that a good way to see where they stand is their stance about de-federating from Threads. It ain’t foolproof, since people can and will lie, but in the absence of better ways to divine their (the instance admins) intent, it’s good enough for me.

• Dr. B@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Onstream vs Cloudstream

Onstream

Pros:

• Much stable
    • Beautiful UI and UX than Cloudstream
    • Can do it’s purpose out of the box (No need to setup like downloading extensions, etc.)

Cons:

• Has pop up ad(picture ad not video) every episode but it’s only one and the TV version have none
    • Less features than Cloudstream
    • Have faulty search results you need to complete at least one word in the title, ex.
      • Gret - will not show Hamster & Gretel
      • Gretel - will show Hamster & Gretel
    • Have 2 Trackers
      • Google Firebase Analytics
      • Google Crashlytics
    • Proprietary

Cloudstream

Pros:

• More features
    • Free and Open Source Software
    • Much more diverse category like p*rn, documentaries and some Filipino Films thanks to extensions
    • No ads

Cons:

• Will exit the video when suffer a meager connection lost, can be a hassle when it do not continue to where it lefts
    • Poor HCI engineered design process
      • UI are confusing sometimes
      • Harder to set up
    • Abandoned?
    • There’s more useless extensions than working ones
    • Has 1 tracker
      • µ?ACRA

My choice for now is Onstream

Download: Onstream: https://onstream.to/ Cloudstream: https://github.com/recloudstream/cloudstream/releases

• Anaralah_Belore223@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Hindi pa ina-update (wala pang bagong updates) si Lemming for Lemmy.

Last week (huling linggo). after update si Lemming.

Anong nangyari kay janniskilian (yung dev)?

• clock_age@lemmy.worldM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Lemming is the best in terms of UI/UX out of all functional Lemmy android apps, and I still use it, but it’s still way too basic right now.

• Soxxx@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Unsolicited song reco time!

Theme: kpop tracks that don’t really sound like traditional kpop and are perfect songs to brainwash get your non-kpop friends to appreciate the genre

RANDOM RECO 1

RANDOM RECO 2

RANDOM RECO 3

RANDOM RECO 4

RANDOM RECO 5

skl pero kung masesend ko lang 'yung songs na 'yan sa anti-kpop metalhead jazzcirclejerk self ko back in 2018, mas matagal na siguro akong kpop stan hehe.

• [ V ]@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Same. 2021 lang ako nag start makinig ng kpop tapos na-influence lang ako ng friends ko na mahilig sa BTS. Isa sa favorite songs ko by them yang panglima. Iba yung feel nya sa songs ni Suga sa Agust D solo nya.

• decadentrebel@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Looks like lemmy.world did another stealth update. It only says “BE: 0.18.1” at the bottom now, and apparently it’s mostly performance fixes. The only UI change I noticed is that the mod and OP icons are different.

• theyawner@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s interesting how lemmy.world is becoming a primary source for performance monitoring and troubleshooting due to the actual high volume of traffic. And this in turn benefits all lemmy instances.

• k5nn@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Where do you guys get your news with regards to fuel price movement for next tuesday gusto ko sana ng source na pwede i-scrape dahil tamad igoogle manually pls and thx

• monknonoke@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think I’m obsessed. Or is it infatuation? Lol. If I do this long enough with dedication this might become an actual hobby. Bottomline is I can only continue this if I got ✨money✨ hahahaha.

Once again, I will rethink my decisions in life. I will do it step-by-step and through experience. I really need to develop that control so I don’t panic, and you know, die.

When I feel fear I just try to keep in mind that specific fear comes from the unknown and ignorance. So, let’s not be ignorant. Don’t be a dumbass and don’t be reckless.

Tamang hanap lang ng insurance that can cover extreme sports injury during my free time. Calculated risks tho…I will take that.