To give some context, I’m a developer myself and once I had a conversation with someone who has not “tasted” programming, but was wondering about passion and career. I was asked what I like about programming. My answer was that my interest in it came from writing small scripts when I was young to automate things.

Aside from being a career, I’m curious what got you into coding ?

• Yote.zip@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Similar for me - I’ve been writing scripts since I was young. I write scripts and programs for myself whenever I need them, and I feel like it’s a great skill to have in your toolkit if you’re a computer power user.

On a side note, I’ve never thought of a good response for this question when someone looks at my career and my salary and they’re like “I wanna do what you do”, because I’ve been doing this as long as I can remember. I don’t know how realistic it is to tell someone who’s never been interested in computers that they can be a programmer if they really try.

• MajorHavoc@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I have the same trouble.

“How do you get started?”

Uh…get addicted to the dopamine hit when the bloody thing finally does what I wanted on the 1000th try. Is that not normal? Then I can’t help.

“But how do you motivate yourself to stick with it?”

As a kid, I had a Commodore 64, and a really nice wooden stick to play with. I spent my time about 50/50. Today, I don’t have that stick anymore, so I’m sticking with programming, at least until I find another stick that nice.

• meter_kilo@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

True. I usually tell people it is a good field, provided that they have interest. Then the question usually is how to be interested in it, and I just tell them to just be curious about how any app/software that they use works.