After using Apollo for years, yesterday I decided to completely stop using Reddit for obvious reasons.

I found Lemmy to be a very competent alternative, but the only catch is the mobile situation: it seems that there aren’t many good mobile clients for Lemmy.

So I decided to take matters into my own hands and develop a new mobile client for Lemmy.

After a couple hours, I have a good looking and working subscription feed; super glad to see that the API is easy to use :)

What do you think about the look of the app? Any suggestions?

• Slashzero@hakbox.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Woah… that was fast. You did this in a few hours? That’s impressive. Nice work!

You know mlem is in heavy development and supposed to be released July 1, right? You can install it via TestFlight.

Also for android jerboa is the lemmy client.

https://hakbox.social/comment/26744

• jesusrp98@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Didnt know about mlem, but it looks good! In the end, more options more better for the end user :)

• that_funny_feeling@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I personally don’t like Material design in general, and if I had a choice I’d pick something with Apple’s design principles.

With that said, the more the merrier so I’m definitely rooting for the app. Don’t mean to sound discouraging. It’s just a preference, but I would definitely try it out at least.

• HiT3k@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

If I can scroll and lurk from a mobile device, I’m all in. Especially if it feels good on iOS. Add everything else later :)

• Slashzero@hakbox.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Not to detract from OP’s achievement and work, but there already are mobile clients for both iOS and android. While you wait for OPs to become available you can check these out.

Links in this comment because I’m lazy. 😊

https://hakbox.social/comment/26744

• Thoralf Will
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This is indeed the most pressing issue. Mlem looks promising as well. Maybe you could pool your efforts. On the other hand: Having 2 different clients to choose from, is not a bad thing either.

I’m definitely up for testing the app.

• 「fleece!」@furries.club
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

@jesusrp98 I would LOVE for the ability to somehow connect/log in with my Mastodon account so I can comment on posts with it. Even if the subscriptions are managed by the main Lemmy account, the ability to comment via Masto is pretty crucial for me

• steven@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Looks nice, but I wonder if the upvote and comment icons aren’t a bit too small/compact for touch.

Also a question: what do you intend to do differently than the Mlem app?

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I think mainly design, this app will feature Material design, rather than the look of iOS. Going to implement certain features so that it feels right and home in an iPhone.

However if you prefer the regular iOS theme, there should be other alternatives, like mlem.

In the end, it’s just personal choice, and having multiple options is great for all of us :)

• feifei@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

An iOS app without adhering to iOS design guidelines and looking like android wont be popular with iOS users 😉.

I personally must have iOS design and all bells and whistles. Else it won’t feel at home.

• PeterGintz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Looks great so far! Great work.

A few things I would like to see:

• Easily select specific subscribed feeds to view
    • Ability to search and find other feeds across Lemmy (and subscribe to if applicable)
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago
      • Exactly, one feature I’d like to incorporate is ‘multireddits’ (don’t know if that feature is available on lemmy by default).
      • Yep, you would be able to search across the fediverse, if your instance allows it :)
  • Pekka@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This looks quite nice. The current mobile website looks quite messy, so something like this would be a huge improvement!

• Graphine@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Apple user here! This looks great! What is the minimum iOS version you’re building for? I have a ton of devices on iOS 14 and 15 for jailbreaking purposes and would love to use this app on them :)

• j4k3@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

No apple devices here, but still…

• AMOLED friendly black theme

• easily accessed donation for the instance host and lemmy devs, maybe even include the option to monitor individual user load on the various server instances the user has posted on

• integrate, suggest, and/or streamline 3rd party image hosting options. Maybe set a target file size and quality with a jpeg converter to get any images posted as small as useful by default, even prompting a cropping tool initially as a path of least resistance for optimization.

• build in a converter for MP4 to GIF to WEBP with a small size and maximum size optimization/compression. Like, for technical utility it can be important to show video, but mp4/gifs are not currently supported but animated webp is and can be uploaded directly/embedded in posts

• mod sub activity monitoring separate from other feeds with options to notify by new posts, comments, reports, user, etc.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Great suggestions there (AMOLED fan here, it will happen).

A feature that I think it’s very important is the ability to donate super easily to lemmy instances. I wouldn’t be able to write this comment if not for the support of the rest of the community ❤️

• Shrinra@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

While I usually prefer something that follows Apple’s design language, this looks very, very nice! I’m very impressed at far you got after just a few hours.

If you are entertaining feature requests, one thing I’d like to see from third-party Reddit clients like Apollo, Slide, and Narwhal is Haptic Touch throughout. Haptic Touch link previews, post previews, parent comments when you long press a comment, etc. This has always been one of my favorite features, and far too many apps don’t incorporate this.

• TeddE@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m not an Apple user, but I think it looks good! Does it have the ability to collapse/hide comments and threads?

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

At this very moment, the only feature it has is the ability to display your subscription feed (started like 2h ago), but adding a feature-rich comments section is planned :)