Not sure how accurate it is but given the figures I vaguely recall, this feels pretty accurate.

Realizing that the Discovery is longer than any of these ships really puts shit into perspective

• sj_zero@lotide.fbxl.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Interesting thing is that everything shrunk after the Galaxy Class.

I’m thinking it’s because the galaxy class was a relic of Star Fleet’s golden age. Most of their enemies were either allies or quiet, they started to think this little war thing was beneath them and turned their flagship into a luxury cruise liner.

I wonder what post-Wolf 359 Picard would say if he met Season 1 Picard. Hell, I wonder what post dominion war Picard would say to both of them?

• Jason - VE3MAL@lemmy.radio
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It mirrored the contemporary idea of the “End of History”, where all the existational crises were done with, the federation (was basically moving into a time of refinement rather than having to worry that the experiment might still utterly and completely fail. TNG was basically one long, slow lesson of why that was a flawed notion. You don’t build a cruise liner, fill it with families, and then intentionally send it into the kind of peril that regularly befitted the Enterprise D. In retrospect, it was completely ridiculous.

• sj_zero@lotide.fbxl.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I appreciate the link. I’ve seen the phrase “The end of History” before, but after reading about it, I can’t help but think the phrase has a quaint “Manifest destiny” vibe to it, people making some really powerful proclamations they’ll regret later.